Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Round the World SAAB

This gentleman is gearing up for an Earthrounder attempt in a vintage SAAB. I like the fact that it is based at the nice airfield at Oaksey Park.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 23 Jul 16:38
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I would add that the SAAB 91 might be a rather nice alternative to the SF.260, probably a lot easier on the wallet.

https://www.pilotweb.aero/news/saab-safir-flight-test-6309384

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 23 Jul 16:57

Great and sturdy airplane for mild aerobatics and all, so q good candidate for an Earthrounder. I thoroughly enjoyed a ride in one some time ago. Please tell us where we can follow his progress. Seems like a relaxed and determined ‘stiff upper lip’ Brit who’ll navigate his way through aeronautical and burocratic hurdles

Last Edited by aart at 23 Jul 19:27
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

@aart here is the website, he also writes a nice newsletter

https://flyingvisit.org/

I saw one of these at Friedrichshafen one year, and was quite intrigued. Quality metal construction, aerobatic, Bucker style handling, four seats and despite having a practical Lycoming O-360 still a bit weird and needy. Right up my alley

They seem to sell for a reasonable sum, based on internet surfing. Project planes for sale Anybody have any direct experience?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Jul 15:13

I have some hours in the Safir (O-435 engine). Both flying around and doing aerobatics. It’s really nice to fly, superb handling, but it is large and heavy, and underpowered by today’s standard. Good cross country machine though. But flying around the world in one? They haven’t been in production for several decades, getting parts is not always easy. On experimental register and with a new Lycoming 360-390, life would get much easier I guess.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks for that, I’ll add the type to ‘my list’ I’ll be interested in any additional info. Could one purchase some dual in the type, in e.g, Norway or elsewhere?

It’s about the same size as an early Bonanza, a little more wingspan due to thigh aspect ratio wing. Similar in that way to other contemporary European designs like the Bolkow 207.

LeSving wrote:

On experimental register and with a new Lycoming 360-390, life would get much easier I guess.

That’s the way you’d do it in the US, Experimental Exhibition warbird. My long term plan, roughly, is to someday move in that direction, with the choice a bit limited because I’d like a plane that can still go places as well as being enjoyable to fly. This is going to be 5+ years from now. The maintenance could then be done by anybody, i.e. me, and the Annual sign-off by any A&P, inspection authorization not required.

Maintaining eccentric vehicles is my thing

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Jul 16:14

Whilst looking at the Safir and experimentals, take a look at the Piel Sapphir especially one equipped with a 200hp engine.

France

Silvaire wrote:

Could one purchase some dual in the type, in e.g, Norway or elsewhere?

Sure. I would think WingsWaterandWheels (on this board) is CRI and can give you time in one. Almost all in Norway are old Air Force aircraft. They are 3 seat and the O-435 engine with a CS prop (really nice sound 😃 )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

An excuse for a future vacation

The FAA just unintentionally backed itself into a situation where it has to require a new and burdensome process for an instructor to take money to instruct in any individual Experimental aircraft, a masterpiece of ineptitude. If you bought one you’d regardless need some dual in type for insurance. However that time in type can come from any plane, anywhere, any register and I’m not sure the insurance company would care about overseas PIC legalities as long as you were flying the thing.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Jul 16:43
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message