Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Round the World SAAB

If I’m not mistaken there are a few experimental registered Safirs in Norway. Most are not though, but they are Annex I, non EASA, ICAO “compliant”. This also means that you need a type rating (I think still, but could be mistaken), and for that a CRI/FI is needed. How this is supposed to translate to FAA regulations or insurance, I have no idea, but you certainly could get a type rating in one in Norway, for whatever it’s worth.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks for that info…

LeSving wrote:

How this is supposed to translate to FAA regulations or insurance, I have no idea, but you certainly could get a type rating in one in Norway, for whatever it’s worth.

The SAAB has no FAA TC so as with Russian etc ex-military types it would go into Experimental Exhibition
- which has some maintenance benefits for the owner. As far as the FAA is concerned anybody with a complex (retractable and VP prop) logbook endorsement would be legal to fly it, and that can done in any plane – no time in type is required by FAA regulation.

As a separate commercial (non-FAA) issue, US insurance companies will typically require some number of hours in type and/or dual to issue a policy. The details are to some degree negotiable depending on aircraft type and overall pilot experience. Dual hours logged as a EASA primary student overseas would likely be acceptable.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Jul 22:20

I’ve got access to a few of these – and I’m a FI, so just give me a shout!

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

There are plenty of these in Sweden and a lot of knowledgeable owners and informal owner groups.

It is also possible to get training in one at a couple of places I would guess.

They are very nice to fly! I have flown about 20 hrs in them but that was some time ago.

ESSZ, Sweden

Terrific info, thanks much.

I found an article about a Safir in the US, which is not something I suspected. It was exported to Belgium in 2018 but whether it physically moved there is I guess another question.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Jul 14:12

As Lesving mentionned, I’m a CRI and fly on the Safire from Værnes flyklubb so if you ever come in Trondheim area, we could fly it together if you want!

ENVA, Norway

@WWandW is there also floatplane instruction at the club :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

@WWandW is there also floatplane instruction at the club :)

Well there is one in the Trondheim Flyklubb, but it’s on wheels for the moment, waiting for the floats to be repainted… The plan is to get it on floats next summer or maybe later… One have to be patient :-)

ENVA, Norway

In the meantime you can come to Stockholm to do the rating. Our Husky is on floats until October/November. :)

ESSZ, Sweden

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

As Lesving mentionned, I’m a CRI and fly on the Safire from Værnes flyklubb so if you ever come in Trondheim area, we could fly it together if you want!

That is really exciting to consider, and I surely appreciate it.

At my local base we have a lot of Bückers, something like 10 or 15 of them, a group that was originated in the 60s and 70s locally. The SAAB having the same designer and nice flying characteristics, combined with a measure of practicality makes me quite attracted to try one.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Jul 13:24
Sign in to add your message