Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sometimes you have to see it to believe it!

It’s not clear to me what actually happened. Simply full panic with no brain and no reflexes due to some unexplained reason? Rudder malfunction? blown tire?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

blown tire?

The sounds as he touches down suggests a blown tire.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The sad thing about that second video is the guy immediately grabs his GoPro after crashing, doesn’t switch the master off nor the fuel.

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

Probably realized that video footage of his landing can do him more harm than a post crash fire.

EDQH, Germany

Also, let’s face it: The user interface for ground steering really sucks and I can totally understand that he had trouble keeping the aircraft on the centerline. Every toddler can use a steering wheel but will have a hard time (I must admit that I have no evidence for that) steering her toy car with pedals. After all, that’s why airliners have a nose wheel tiller.

EDQH, Germany

The tiller isn’t used during landing, the rudder is… tiller is for taxiing.

Deflecting the nose wheel with the tiller at high speeds is going to peel the wheel right off the rim.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 05 Sep 21:40
always learning
LO__, Austria

I know that. It looks like that:

Sorry, my (slight) sarcasm really does not transport well over the interweb.

EDQH, Germany

Clipperstorch wrote:

It looks like that:

The way they kept the nosewheel off the ground what looks like maximum possible time / longer than a normal landing suggests they were aware of the problem?

MedEwok wrote:

I understand your sentiment, but would be careful to argue someone is unfit for flying just because they made a single, albeit dramatic, mistake early in their career.

What do the others think, especially FIs?

I was declared unfit for flying by my primary ab initio FI, and other instructors within the club (that had never flown with me…), plus he firmly declared I would kill myself in the touring airplane I transitioned to after my PPL on club C172/P28A. However:

• another FI actually learned me to land the plane
  • the CFI of the school, once he had flown with me, told me, in essence: I had heard so much about you, but all is false. All you needed was for someone to show you once.

So, yeah, I agree, be cautious before making such pronouncements.

I would agree that, at the date of the accident, it looks plausible that person was not up to the standards desirable for the issue of a PPL. Which is completely normal for a student.

ELLX

The speed at which that hangar flies into the scene gives me the Willies.
If I’d have seen that before flying, I’m not sure I would have been as bold…
The first taxi out I tried to steer with the yolk, but after that, the idea of driving hands free was how I transitioned into flying mode (and didn’t try to steer with the yolk).

Kind of like pinching one’s self in a dream to make sure it isn’t real, I would let go of the yolk to taxi. This made my brain switch to flight mode and helped my progression a lot.

I think with a wide angle camera you get the illusion that everything is far away, hence the hangar appears suddenly out of nowhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message