Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Watch out for a big "danger area" in the Dover-France crossing (and drone conspicuity)

Vow! thank you Peter for highlighting. This is definitely an easy one to miss…
The maps shows 1500ft, but they extend it by notam? I am pretty sure I would have missed that in flight planning…

FF doesn’t show notams until shortly before a flight

Foreflight will highlight the notam on a layer and actually show this. But again if you don’t read carefully easy to miss it’s extended higher. Also there is an operational note saying it « maybe extended » I have never noticed before…

From foreflight:

Last Edited by roznet at 01 May 20:02
EGTF, United Kingdom

Are you sure about that Peter?

I use this notam site. It may be the time frame? That site shows 5 days ahead which is a good simple guide. I don’t use SD, and FF doesn’t show notams until shortly before a flight.

wanting to test the CAA interpretation in court

The CAA can do what it likes and they “provisionally” suspend your license. The “provisional” status sidesteps any appeal option. Do you think there is some avenue here?

transponder might have developed a fault.

Indeed; doing what half of UK GA does thanks to this, TXP=OFF will also work

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

Is there a way to get a clearance through it?

Lydd provie DAIS so might have more granular activation time than the NOTAM.

or you might be very wealthy and wanting to test the CAA interpretation in court.

or you transponder might have developed a fault.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

The AIC is still what defines the TDA. Not what is in the Q line of the NOTAM.
The NOTAM covers the extension of the AIC. D098E (nothern-most) is occasionally activated to 2500’ hence the altitude in the Q line.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Are you sure about that Peter? Skydemon (normally accurate) shows the central zones still only 1500 feet with no new Notams. The large zone to the northeast is 2500 and the one to the southwest 2000. I don’t think anything has changed?
Alan

Last Edited by buzz53 at 01 May 11:58
EGST + Tibenham, United Kingdom

Is there a way to get a clearance through it? If not it’s essentially a barrier to VFR if there’s any cloud cover (it’s not unusual for bases on flyable day to be near that).

Andreas IOM

Now up to 2500ft so watch out! Easy to get busted going to Le Touquet, and you will get busted same way as if you busted the London TMA…

Administrator

These have varied but back up to 2500ft so watch out – UK treats these as Class A, with the same punishment from the CAA

Administrator

Still there, up to 2500ft, prohibited zones which will get you busted by the CAA 100% of the time

Administrator

I saw one of the drones recovering into Lydd on Sunday. You definitely don’t want to collide with one!

EGBP, United Kingdom
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message