Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Entering CAS with implicit permission

Peter wrote:

What is the procedure / phraseology in Germany – Langen Radar usually I think? I haven’t flown there VFR for a long time.

I crossed a large chunk of class D VFR only last month (for the first time too). It was arranged via Langen Information, with a rather informal request (don’t remember my exact words, but I asked something like “can you arrange transit through Hannover class Delta for me?”) and the ATCO was very friendly and accomodating, asked me about the planned route and altitude, then called me back a minute later to tell me my transit had been approved and handed me over to Bremen Radar. Bremen Radar was also very friendly, only said something like “Radar contact, 5000 ft, remain Victor Mike” and then confirmed “D-EXXX has entered class charlie airspace….ehm sorry I mean class delta airspace” once I entered. Since it was my first time doing such a transit, I asked if I was “cleared to [my route]” and he confirmed it for me.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

There are a bunch of R military zones if you get this where I think you are getting it. It implies you’re cleared across or through those.

Nope, there is nothing on the route and they would still say “transit approuvé”.

Malibuflyer wrote:

Everything has pros and cons. Every time an Austrian controller asks me about my exact routing I’m inclined to say “We’ll see” and when hie gives me a reporting point “yeah, if I happen to pass by I might give you a call”.
When it’s airspace Echo, I’m free to fly wherever I want and if I make up my mind during the flight, I can change plans at my discretion. Therefore I like the German FIS attitude more
Don’t forget these reporting points – especially in the Alps with limited Radar coverage – serve also SAR. In case you somewhere got missing, they will know your latest position. I never had any issues when I told Swiss FIS, that I liked to do just some sightseeing. They just answered something like: “Roger, then next report when finished or leaving XY”.
Last Edited by Frans at 29 Jul 14:28
Switzerland

Malibuflyer wrote:

When you just call into a radar frequency (w/o talking by phone before) – even if you have the right one – you always hit the controller “by surprise”. So first thing he has to do is to dig out your FPL and check to what extend they can clear you and where they have to coordinate.

And that is why the correct term for ATC is air traffic control SERVICE – they are a service to pilots.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Rwy20 wrote:

Or “transit approuvé” (transit approved). I get that a lot from Bâle Information, when contacting them OCAS and with a destination OCAS, and a route OCAS. To this date I still don’t understand the meaning of that phrase

There are a bunch of R military zones if you get this where I think you are getting it. It implies you’re cleared across or through those.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

This is off-topic now but details are here. I did notice that only a few months later – and before the DGAC got around to going after me – ATC were proactively warning about the ZITs. I would not go back to VFR now; it’s pointless for long trips unless you are after specific scenery / photography – unless I was forced to by some insurmountable medical scenario and anyway such an event would limit me to UK VFR in an RV10

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

@Peter you often say that you had problems in crossing a ZIT around a nuclear power station.
I suspect you infringed a “P” prohibited zone

They are P-zones now, but back in 2003 they were ZITs. They became ZITs during the knee-jerk aftermath of 9/11.
IIRC, previously they were much smaller “site industriel” which back then were “avoid” and now are “restricted”.

Regards, SD..

Frans wrote:

But Langen doesn’t ask about your routing as well and if you tell them, they just don’t care. In Austria or Switzerland, the FISO always wants to know your exact routing and will give you reporting points.

Everything has pros and cons. Every time an Austrian controller asks me about my exact routing I’m inclined to say “We’ll see” and when hie gives me a reporting point “yeah, if I happen to pass by I might give you a call”.
When it’s airspace Echo, I’m free to fly wherever I want and if I make up my mind during the flight, I can change plans at my discretion. Therefore I like the German FIS attitude more

Germany

It’s very simple an FIS/SIV might approve transit "transit approve "of a particular piece of CAS or a restricted area from point A to point B which will be the transit route you have given in your radio contacts. The FISO will have coordinated this approval with the ATCO responsible for the CAS. This will often mean coordinating it with him/herself. A FISO cannot give you a clearance.
If you are talking with say that same person with his ATCO hat on eg you are talking on an approach frequency he might say "Transit authorizé or “cleared to transit” A to B …
@Peter you often say that you had problems in crossing a ZIT around a nuclear power station.
I suspect you infringed a “P” prohibited zone. That is a definite no no. No-one can clear you through most of those and normally even for a slight incursion you will get busted. It is a lot of hassle as you can read often in the FFA rex published each sunday.

France

I think every ATCO in France can get your flight plan, and probably also in some other countries. But in say the UK they really cannot. London INFO probably can dig it out, but since they have to pretend they don’t see you on radar (because, to save money, they are FISOs, not ATCOs, and especially not radar-qualified ATCOs which cost even more) this is of little use to them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message