Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pitot/static covers, yes or no? And what happens to avionics if you forget...

Those plugs look great @emir

Aircraftcovers.com

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Jacko wrote:

I certainly can’t imagine having to check a dial to know whether my aeroplane is ready to fly

I gutes nobody needs this. At the approach, however, those ASIs come in handy to check whether you are 10kt too fast or not – but I guess in these airplanes you are talking abut, 10kt more in final don’t make that much of a difference. In others they do…

Germany

For sure, 10 knots too fast on final is about 25% excess speed, so in theory it adds at least 50% (say 50 m) to stopping distance. In practice, it can add much more if it delays the point at which the brakes become effective. That may not be a disaster but, trust me, such ham-fistedness causes friends on the ground to laugh a lot.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

so in theory it adds at least 50% (say 50 m) to stopping distance.

YMMD! Thank you!

Germany

Peter wrote:

That could be nasty… especially if the “modern avionics” disables autopilot functionality. Does anyone know if Aspen/Garmin kit supports autopilot operation with airdata lost?

The aspen displays a big Red Cross and failure message across the display when reaching 40 its ground speed. I did some high speed taxis during lockdown and didn’t remove the pitot covers which is why I know ;-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

IOW, with a 20kt headwind, you discover it just as you are about to rotate, with the end of the runway coming up

That’s horrible… it could easily kill somebody because it won’t be expected and in say OVC002 you have to make a fast transition to the backup AI.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

now we can ask the nice lady in the GTN to “say fuel flow”

Oh. How does one set that up, with a GTN already connected to a fuel flow meter?

ELLX
58 Posts
Sign in to add your message