Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pitot/static covers, yes or no? And what happens to avionics if you forget...

Pitot Shield, e.g. here
pitot shield

EDM_, Germany

DAR’s pic shows a cover which automatically opens with airflow. But has stuck closed.
“If you haven’t spotted the cover still on while ready for departure in a C-172, well.”
The Bolkow pitot cover is level with the cockpit, and can be removed from the pilot’s seat. Our one has a huge red streamer.
I sat out a rain shower in the cockpit, leaving the pitot cover on.
When I started the engine, the streamer was blown horizontal.
I took off with it on. I couldn’t find the ASI, in a standard 6-pack, as I was looking for a needle which had moved. At 50+ feet, I realised what has happened, and landed straight ahead on the runway with no problems.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

You can always attach PT cover, & gear chocks to propeller tip covers using a rope, it will make life easier if you forget any of them !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

OK, I give in. But I’m curious. Just exactly what information could I get from the ASI that is (a) required for safe flight and (b) can not be obtained from other instruments and avionics or indeed from looking out of the window and feeling and listening to the machine?

I mean, who actually bothers to look at the ASI in flight? Is there anyone so obsessed by the numbers in their flight manual that they need to look at an air speed dial? Our local Red Kites carry all kinds of electronic gizmos courtesy of the “conservationists”, but I’ve never seen any bird looking at an ASI…

Confession: well, I do give the ASI and GPS ground speed a quick glance on short final for any landing site which is barely as long as I need. But when landing somewhere with at least half a mile of runway to spare (i.e. 99% of airports), who gives a damn?

Last Edited by Jacko at 24 Jul 23:23
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Weird encounters with bugs here.

I have never use a pitot cover on any airplane and never had problems with any bugs.

ESME, ESMS

I use all three covers (2x static 1x pitot) every time the plane is parked for more than say 1hr.

There have been too many cases in GA of creepy crawlies (slang for insects ) climbing into the holes, never coming out, and blocking them.

For TBs, I believe @lucius did a 3D printable design of the plug. For the “hanging-off bit” I bought some ~40cm long “remove before flight” attachments.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you for all your views, tips and experiences. The views somewhat reflect what we have discussed in the group. Some of you indicate that anyone should be able to manage without pitot-static instruments, and while I totally agree that in an ideal world everybody would do the walkaround AND fly safely without some of your instruments, I am rather looking to minimize risk. Major items ARE overlooked frequently when (not) pre-flighting; and taking off and being surprised by malfunctioning primary flight instruments WOULD be a significant risk factor for the average pilot.

My conclusion so far goes along the lines of

• Pilots of different levels flying the aircraft, club environment; environment with only rare cases of contamination; low wing > do NOT use a cover
  • Only few (preferably disciplined) pilots flying the aircraft; many insects; high wing in any case > USE cover

In my case (6-10 pilots, rare cases of contamination here, low wing) some balancing is needed.

The cover is for a pitot mast with both static and dynamic ports (and drain hole). I guess I need a flight with the cover on to find out what kind of indications to expect.

Last Edited by huv at 25 Jul 09:12
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Here are pics of mine – all DIY because the Socata ones fell apart in less than the 18 years I’ve had the plane

They get a lot of “exercise” from wind – many hours.

The pipework is worth protecting from insect (and in some designs, water) ingress, because sorting out the resulting problems is a real bastard of a job. The pipes are mostly not transparent and, where they are, the joints mostly aren’t, and it is the joints in which the insects are most likely to die, due to the reduction in diameter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

agree with many above. In summer, I always put sunshields on even for short term parking. If I am going to stay longer than a lunch break, all pitot overs and cowling plugs get mounted.

Switzerland

Jacko wrote:

I mean, who actually bothers to look at the ASI in flight?

I definitely do, for two reasons;
1. Engine cowl vent for cooling will slow the aircraft by a few kts, which can be seen by slow airspeed.
2. To check VNE… Mooneys are slippery and gaining 30kts by descending a little happens easily.

Sign in to add your message