Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What's the difference between Amsterdam Info and Dutch MIL Info?

As posted by me in another thread:

PapaBravo wrote:

As said before, don’t be intimidated by the huge amount of class alpha airspace in The Netherlands. The route along the coast is very scenic and no problem at all as long as you stay below 1500’. Transiting the TMA however is a big no-no.
If the weather is good you could ask for a crossing of the EHAM CTR, most of the time the local ATC is very cooperative. The last time I did it, they let me make a 360 around the main tower at 500’.

A transit of the EHKD CTR along the coast to the north is generally a no-brainer. Only if EHR8 is active they won’t let you follow the coast, but in that case you can transit along the published VFR-routes.

When flying from Texel to Ameland you have to pass EHR4. Most of the times Dutch Mil will accommodate a transit. You can try to contact local area control on 122.1 Mhz (callsign: Cornfield) if the area is active. They will sometimes allow a transit, allowing you to enjoy the view of low flying military planes. Off course this won’t be the case if bombing is in progress.

Enjoy your flight!

In your case you can read EHDR where I talk about EHAL.

Dutch Mil Info is still heavily understaffed due to years of budget-cuts for the Dutch Military. So at times there won’t be any Flight Information Service at all, those times are published by notam. If they do provide service the friendliness is dependent on the person sitting behind the mike.

You can find an overview chart of FIS-frequencies in the Dutch AIP ENR 6. For your convenience I’ve also added it below:

Finally, be advised that EHDR is, in my opinion, the most boring airfield in the country.

Have a nice trip 9EP!

PapaBravo wrote:

Finally, be advised that EHDR is, in my opinion, the most boring airfield in the country.

Thanks for the information. I am only stopping at EHDR to pick up a friend who lives in nearby Harlingen so won’t be there long!

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

DavidC wrote:

Since I was VFR, then a Class A transit would be unlikely

Not unlikely, impossible. VFR is prohibited in class A. You could possibly get special permission if you have a compelling reason, but that’s something that has to be approved in advance and not something the individual controller can give you.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@9ep:
I flew though the EH-R-conglomerate on my way to the Cambridge meet-up on the Friday morning.
On that day I found Dutch Mil friendly and helpful. They readily provided me with information regarding the status of the various areas, and it turned out most of them were cold (active as per schedule, but not used at the moment) so I could pass through the area without any significant detour.

Last Edited by CharlieRomeo at 25 May 10:38
EDXN, ETMN, Germany

PapaBravo wrote:

Do you (or anybody else for that matter) have contact details for EHDR? They are PPR but both phone numbers I’ve found (quoted on their Facebook and flying club website) and their email address are dead.

Thanks

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Unfortunately I haven’t. Haven’t been at the field in years actually.

When I flew there, I called them on +31 512 513 245 and it was working. This number was only manned when the field is open, though – i.e. during their published opening hours.

EDL*, Germany
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message