Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin / Avidyne / Jeppesen +V Advisory Glidepath / Glideslope, does it ever breach stepdown fixes, and does it exist for non-GPS IAP airports?

Airborne_Again wrote:

For sure a box like the Garmin GTN650Xi will give you H+V guidance even with no GPS IAP published! That’s the whole point of the +V, isn’t it?

Airborne_Again, I think it will be only for 3 degrees slope, if you meant the visual approach. Or did you mean the VNAV and DIY procedure?

EGTR

Isn’t the Garmin “visual approach” (or whatever they call it today) one which terminates at 1000ft or whatever? Their handhelds have had stuff like that since for ever… A 3 deg slope would be seriously compromised at say EGKA 20.

Udo – that is great provided you have an escape route Not great over the Alps, at the ceiling (say ISA+10), and with 30 mins’ TKS fluid left… been there too…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

Airborne_Again, I think it will be only for 3 degrees slope, if you meant the visual approach. Or did you mean the VNAV and DIY procedure?

No, I mean +V down to the runway. Given the ICAO requirement is a bit of a challenge these days to find an instrument runway without either ILS or RNP approaches (e.g. in Sweden there are none), but I tried EGHE that only has NDB approaches. On loading the approach, the GTN650Xi gives +V, which is a proper synthetic glideslope all the way down. (I tried this in Garmin’s trainer which runs the same software as the real box.)

So I don’t see what’s different with the Proline 21. But maybe there is more to it than appears from the short comparison above.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Jan 10:10
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In that case something has changed – see e.g. here.

If Jepp have coded +V for non-GPS approach airports, that is great news!

Can anyone check on an IFD box? Maybe @Steveavidyne @AviJake @aviSimpson knows, although for some reason we have not been able to get anyone Avidyne-related to post anything here (from Avidyne, or an aircraft owner).

+V posts moved to proper thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter, another Avidyne user here. My SR22 has two IFD440 + Entegra.

I probably got the wrong end of the stick, but if we are talking about Visual Approaches, the IFD will allow Vertical navigation guidance to all airfields with defined and published thresholds. The GS is 4% and can be adjusted.

Regarding +V on non-precision apps – in my short experience, I’ve never seen +V on any non-GPS approaches. But will test next time I do one.

EGSU, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

In that case something has changed – see e.g. here.

Wasn’t the issue at that time (2014) that the UK CAA had requested that Jeppesen turn off the +V for UK airports?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Isn’t the Garmin “visual approach” (or whatever they call it today) one which terminates at 1000ft or whatever

it’s 50 ft

Poland

Peter,

The GTN Xi series added +V for VOR and NDB straight in approaches. I don’t have an ADF in my airplane, but have flown VOR approach procedures with +V on my G500TXi/GTN 750Xi/Stec 60-2 installation. The GPS remains the selected source for the procedure, but I add the bearing pointer to point to the VOR radial. +V provides vertical guidance and is only intended to be used at or above the MDA.

Visual approaches are available for IFR and VFR runways. It is only intended to be used in VFR conditions. For example to aid the pilot when there are parallel runways or lower visibility and cleared for a visual.

If published data is available, it is used for the visual approach feature. If there is no published data, 3 degrees with a TCH of 50 feet is used. This is from the PG:

If unavailable, it reads: “NO VERTICAL GUIDANCE”
Terrain and obstacle obstructions along the approach path determine the availability of vertical guidance advisories for visual approaches.
• If no known obstructions are within the approach path, vertical guidance is provided to a maximum distance of 28 nm from the runway.
• If there are known obstructions further than 3 nm, but within the 28 nm maximum distance from the runway along the approach, vertical guidance
is limited to the approach path after crossing the known obstructions. After loading the approach, a shortened magenta line shows on the map.
If obstructions are within 3 nm to the runway, along the approach path, advisory vertical guidance is not available.
KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Visual approaches are available for IFR and VFR runways. It is only intended to be used in VFR conditions. For example to aid the pilot when there are parallel runways or lower visibility and cleared for a visual.

If published data is available, it is used for the visual approach feature. If there is no published data, 3 degrees with a TCH of 50 feet is used.

@NCYankee, where this data is published? I mean EGKA RW 20 has got 4.5 degrees, and published both in the AIP and in the RNP 20 plates. Why the GTN Xi sim is using 3 degrees on the visual approach to RW20?

EGTR

I don’t have a subscription to European Navdata, so I can’t check. According to the PG, they Xi should be using the published data.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message