Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Two apparently unrelated crashes in Southern France

They were well over this, especially 20°C on the tank. Temp was 21 or 22 at 5000ft (on the prevision), but anyway that’s very restrictive for summer flying.

LFMD, France

Does their departure airport carry Mogas?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have no idea, VAC chart says “TRO” in addition to avgas and 100ll. AIP says it’s a Total pump, but total only refers to an avgas pump, and SD only mention JetA1 and avgas.

LFMD, France

Facebook

It was a big ask to fly 3/5 aircraft of that nature on such a long flight. I admire their enthusiasm. I’m sure they were all experienced pilots well aware of the risks involved.

Last Edited by WilliamF at 25 Jul 16:31
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Reading this article from laprovence.com,
https://www.laprovence.com/article/edition-alpes/5609308/crash-et-atterrissage-durgence-font-deux-morts-et-un-pilote-indemne.html
the group may have decided to return to base as unable to continue in the valley, one may have decided to force-land, another plane went into the mountain. Maybe a VFR into IMC issue due to rapid degradation of flight condition. But this is just a thought from “responsables du Centre de vol à voile de l’Ubaye”.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 25 Jul 17:36
LFMD, France

From the UK base’s FB site:

Administrator

An older LAA mogas flyer is here.

However, it appears that this was probably not fuel related. Most likely related to climb performance.

It would be very interesting if IMC was involved. I suspect probably not, otherwise the one who did a successful forced landing would probably not have done so.

The problem with groups flying together in an organised way is that there is a lot of pressure to go.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It would be very interesting if IMC was involved. I suspect probably not

Probably, Barcelonette is known for it’s weather traps that has caught even very experienced alpine hunters but I doubt anything in summer, the sky was blue according to weather/people reports…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The problem with groups flying together in an organised way is that there is a lot of pressure to go.

The bravado that enters this kind of frame is amazing. It’s like at a fly-in. People can do some incredibly stupid stuff in the company of other pilots/aircraft that would never happen were they on their own.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Apart from nobody I know of having the time to organise it, this is why we don’t do heavily supported fly-ins. There is so much pressure to go.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message