Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Travel insurance

I can’t find a thread about travel insurance, so here goes:

For many years I have bought an annual worldwide multitrip travel insurance policy that does not have the normal exclusion about private etc flying (except for aerobatics and gliding). So it would cover medical expenses, accident injury etc in the course of my own flying. But the cost compared with a normal policy with GA exclusion has escalated to a point where I think I will give it up and buy a conventional travel policy.

Any views from the pundits here?

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

I just buy a normal yearly policy.

EGKL, United Kingdom

I use Traffords (UK based). ‘Normal’ insurance +North America +winter sports +flying is about £250 per year for me, wife and baby. I’ve never made a claim, but they specifically list general aviation on the policy which I find reassuring.

Outside the EU the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) isn’t valid – obviously – but e.g. the Channel Islands are not EU.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Have a look at either:

IHI Bupa www.ihi.com
DogTag www.dogtag.com

Both cover a very wide range of sports/activities. Though on the pricy side for a single-person policy, both can be a good deal for family cover.

United Kingdom

In the UK, everything not specifically excluded is included in the cover.

However, you are required to make a full disclosure of all relevant facts, and it is the insurer who decides what is relevant

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Coming back to this old thread, my UK broker (Traffords) has informed me that my worldwide annual travel insurance policy will not be renewed, because of Brexit. The broker can now only deal with UK residents and I’m in Ireland.

This policy did not have the normal exclusion of private flying. My current expiring policy is issued by Citybond Suretravel, insurance appears to be from Union Reiseversicherung AG, UK and Ireland Branch, in Kent. Sounds like a German origin for this cover.

So now I am looking for another, non-UK, source for travel insurance with this feature.

France: a French broker tells me it’s available, but only for French residents.

Germany: I don’t know any German insurance broker.

Any ideas here?

Personally I think this aspect of travel insurance is quite important.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message