Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

J Wagner ILS to minimums. :-) (and how much of the approach light system and the runway needs to be visible at minima)

So he got surprised by his A/P and EHSI not behaving as expected at a critical point in time, then couldn’t settle into manual flying quickly enough. I can sympathise (I’ve found myself in the same situation), but then you really should abandon the approach at once. Also it appears that he was vectored in too close as he intercepted the glideslope well before even having half deflection on the localiser.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

He failed to cross check his instruments. There’s no point in having a fancy EHSI and then ignoring the other CDI(s) and the magenta he had on the GPS. Safe IFR flying is about constantly cross-checking all information sources, be those primary & secondary flight instruments and all navigation displays.

Sloppy, for a pilot who ordinarily seems quite keen to demonstrate his aviation prowess.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

That’s why I posted it here. It seems dropping out of the clouds into VMC saved him, as one of the comments below the vid says. I agree, this was very close.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

1200 fpm climb with the GS needle at full fly-down. Then 3000+ fps descent…

I don’t understand why he posts these videos. Sure, they’re educational in some sense, but still…

I would only post something like this if at the same time I announced that I would give up flying…

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 05 Feb 14:07

Airborne_Again wrote:

1200 fpm climb with the GS needle at full fly-down. Then 3000+ fps descent…

It happened once more earlier in the flight (min 33) and you can see the altimeter going up for 200 ft in literarily 3 seconds.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The video isn’t meant to demonstrate what can happen in IMC, but serves that purpose well.
It actually starts at 32:30, when nothing – T&B, AI, VSI, airspeed, and glideslope – never stay stable for even one second. Even the visor gets moved down by gravity….

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 05 Feb 15:23
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

It gets interesting from 33:20 onwards. This time however he’s handflying the ILS, watch the glideslope and the VSI.
Remark: don’t watch if you get scared easily.

wow that is sloppy… I was taught to go missed if the deflection is more than 0.5 of a dot up or sideways – he is off by more than 25 degrees of the actual approach course when he finally breaks out. Do that anywhere in the mountains and you’re dead…

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 05 Feb 16:00
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

EuroFlyer wrote:

It actually starts at 32:30, when nothing – T&B, AI, VSI, airspeed, and glideslope – never stay stable for even one second. Even the visor gets moved down by gravity….

Actually, once he reaches full fly-down indication on the ILS, the VSI is stable at zero (!) for about 10 seconds. Then there is the zoom to 1200 fpm climb (!!) followed by the 3000 fpm descent(!!!). At this point he was so high above the glideslope that even that dive didn’t bring the needle up.

“Interesting” perspective considering this is a straight in ILS approach.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

considering this is a straight in ILS approach.

I think there is a name for that, it is called “offset ILS”, Lydd (EGMD) has one
Tough, I think wings should be level as most of us will be crabbing while on decent in IMC, only the braves will fly “wing down” to minima

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message