Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are the French military zones around Cazaux ever flyable below FL200? (and Eurocontrol routings through temporary restrictions)

Peter wrote:

One part-solution, done by the routing tool, would be a checkbox option to route only inside CAS.

A more or less equivalent is called “discourage DCTs” in autorouter. I use it every time for this particular reason. It works well.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 24 Oct 17:06

Let me get this clear.

On IFR flights, you get enroute notams, and go through the booklet which comes with the SIA 1:1M charts which lists the various D R and P zones and their activity times, plot any coordinate lists specifying polygons on the map, and use this (or some other) method to shape the route to avoid the restrictions?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

On IFR flights, you get enroute notams, and go through the booklet which comes with the SIA 1:1M charts which lists the various D R and P zones and their activity times,

Discouraging DCT = flying airways.
Most airways (below FL195) in France are PDR (permanent, and not CDR).
By design, PDR airways avoid P, D, R areas, so there is no need to check the SIA 1:1M and the booklet.
So I can discard every NOTAMS regarding P, D, R area activation time.
I just check the en-route notams to see if there is no TRA created for a special events.
“Big war” exercises creating TRA’s (and airways non-availability) such as this one local copy (simulating a nuclear raid…) are rare (once or twice a year) and usually occur in the middle of the night.

But if I file a DCT in my FPL (like you did), I look carefully where it gets me including P, D, R areas activation times.

I get longer routes on autorouter but when I’m the air, I let ATC do the work : they will give you a shortcut when a restricted area is not active.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 24 Oct 18:30

Avoiding DCTs generates this, which was more or less what I got from ATC:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve never encountered any problem flying that coast much lower tan FL200 . This was on monday a few months ago.
A few moths ago, I went up all the coast from Biarritz to Oleron between 1000-2000’ AGL

Last Edited by Coolhand at 25 Oct 16:16
LECU - Madrid, Spain

Flew straight through last Thursday, FL80

Morning and early afternoon

Great pic, coolhand. View of the dune was not as nice from up there

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message