Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Rimini in Italy

Thanks Martin, i was not aware of that G1000 feature :)

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

There are many waypoints to put in the GPS for such trip. How do you usually do? Fill in along the way in case of redirect from ATC?

Since you are flying a G1000 equipped aircraft, you can enter the airways (entry and exit point), then it populates the intersections.

On my own plog I also write down all the intersections, it helps when ATC gives you a direct and the radio is barely readable or when they speak ultra-fast, you can find out which waypoint ATC most likely means. Skydemon also gives them to you in a PLOG if you enter the airways in the enroute part. No need to look at the map and write them down manually :)

Thanks Peter, very valuable information on your page :)

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Where can i find info about these airports? General GA info and landing fees etc (Only in Rocket Route AIP info)?

Opinions on this vary, especially according to whether you speak Italian, but if you do then phone them. If you don't speak the airport language, which is usually true for me then email+fax them. I have a few notes here based on what has worked for me in the past. But I am a bit lazy; when planning a significant trip I shoot off emails and faxes in every direction and see what comes back over the next few days.

There are many waypoints to put in the GPS for such trip. How do you usually do? Fill in along the way in case of redirect from ATC?

My GPS can take 20 waypoints. If the route is less I load the whole lot. If it is more I load the first 10 or so (especially all of any high workload part of the departure route) and the destination airport, which gives me a readout of the distance to run, for fuel etc purposes. Then I put in the others during the flight, having deleted the earlier ones.

This problem is not going to go away. It's going to get worse. What is needed is either a GPS which can take a load of waypoints (say 100), and offers electronic flight plan loading.

One rarely flies the filed route exactly, but one usually flies more or less the filed route, and ATC are going to issue shortcuts to waypoints on the filed route so it saves time to actually have the filed route loaded.

Also for the ICAO Lost Comms scenario you should have the filed route programmed because you will revert to it in the case of a lost radio contact.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks guys for all input!

It seems good to bring oxygen for this trip. Salzburg was a good breakpoint.

Achimna: Thanks for the route. It was better that the autogenerated one i tried in FlightPlan Pro which i havent had any use of until now.

boscomantico: Nice to know when to avoid Rimini :)

what next: LIPK seems to be a resonable option. Easy to get from the Forli airport to Rimini?

Jan Olieslagers: Google translate worked for me... hmm maybe Forli/LIPK is a better option then?

Where can i find info about these airports? General GA info and landing fees etc (Only in Rocket Route AIP info)?

Regards

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Talking of Rimini, LIPR, I just stumbled across this recent pirep on eddh.de. Translation available on request, and I only hope the people at eddh.de don't mind the copy.

Eintrag vom 2013-08-12 ICAO: LIPR (RIMINI, Italy) Name: Peter Rieser Kontakt... Bemerkungen: war am 11. August 2013 nur zum Auftanken dort - habe mich telefonisch und per email angemeldet und auch mich auch um den Spritpreis infomiert - dann kam alles anders ... NACH 1800 LT zahlt man € 121,- zusätzlichen Aufschlag (bin um 1930 LT gelandet) auch waren die Landegebühren doppelt so hoch wie es ursprünglich im email mitgeteilt wurde (€ 78,- für DA 40) ... mit dem lächerlichen Hinweis "private is doubel" ... eine sehr teure Erfahrung - ALSO VORSICHT!!! unbedingt GENAU anfragen!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hello!

If Rimini is too busy/expensive/complicated Forlí (LIPK) could be an alternative. With instrument procedures and long opening hours. If they are still open at all after losing all the low-cost airline traffic to Rimini and Bologna (according to Jeppesen and their website they still are, but who knows, and there is currently no jet fuel available). I haven't been there in the last couple of years, but remember it as a very friendly airport with lots of training activity going on. And some interesting almost derelict Italian jet fighters and trainers rotting in the grass. There used to be shuttle buses to the Adriatic sea.

Happy landings Max

EDDS - Stuttgart

Great that you don't need PPR for emergencies!

I thought that was clever, too.

Just happened to me at LEAS two weeks ago.

What exactly happened?

LGKR is known for refusing a landing just for fun, to people who did not get the PPR, just to make the point re who owns the tarmac. But if you get the PPR and get them to fax it to you, I have never heard of a problem.

I had one case in Italy where a landing was refused (Padova) because they claimed they did not receive any of my fax notifications (I sent several, because they were not answering the phone) for PNR Customs. But I have no reason to think that had they replied to me, they would have refused the landing clearance.

My "plan" for these scenarios would be to declare an emergency, citing low oil pressure, land, take the cowling off (if anybody actually cares), put some oil in, and that's it. That's the recommended procedure for LGKR too.

these outrageous PPR timeframes are really somewhat meaningless

They are - until the very rare scenario where the airport actually runs out of parking. It's a debate which will run for ever.

One point of view is that the pilot, upon calling up at arrival is told there is no room to land and park, has to divert, which is OK because everybody needs to plan an alternate (practically if not legally). In that case no airport needs to be PPR.

Another point of view is that an "international" airport which imposes PNR or PPR must be fully and easily contactable, in English, during all opening times. An email or a phone call is no hard work really.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

the problem in these countries is that if they say "48h PPR", and you comply with that, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will be granted. They will still exercise their own "discretion", based on "capacity constraints". Just happened to me at LEAS two weeks ago.

So, these outrageous PPR timeframes are really somewhat meaningless. It's just that if you contact them too late, they simply have one more reason to say "no".

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

DECLARING EMERGENCY ARE EXCLUDED

Great that you don't need PPR for emergencies!

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message