Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to France to Ireland (EIKK) - direct with GAR possible?

We are planning a short flight from Quimper (LFRQ) to EIKK (Kilkenny) next week. According to the AIP an airport of entry or airdrome with customs/immigration has to be used to get in and out. Isn‘t there any GAR procedure to go direct to the destination? I found one old formular but nothing else helpful.

Second question: does anybody now more about the airfield of Kilkenny. It is now run by the skydiving club and there is no phone number to get into contact with them directly. The mentioned numbers in the AIP belong to the former field owner and do not help.

Thank you for your advices.

EDDS , Germany

No cutoms are required from France (at least what AIP1.2/AIP1.3 states) but I don’t think it has immigration (Ireland is outside Schengen) and it’s not listed in AD1.3 index

Worst case try Weston (EIWT) it’s friendly place then 50nm, @WilliamF or @dublinpilot may know more about direct to EIKK?

PS: I know going UK/CI first is likely not an option for you

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Aug 09:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

No cutoms are required from France

You mean no customs is required when departing France, at any airport?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

unfortunately, if a comment from end of May in Skydemon is to be believed, Kilkenny is not currently open to visitors. I don‘t know what the story is.

Historically, one could fly from the EU direct to any airfield im Ireland but I haven‘t done it in recent years.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You mean no customs is required when departing France, at any airport?

I meant on arrival at Ireland

On French side going for Ireland, my understanding you need to leave from POE (Point Passage Frontalier) and you need immigration if you have passengers, Quimper is one of these airports although it’s only PPF in summer…without passengers going France to Ireland, you can depart from more airports with more options for timing (Quimper in winter, you send 24h PN by email to Brest)

PS: I only flew UK to Weston (both in CTA), I can’t say much about the actual flight from Quimper to Kilkenny so not sure about the procedure on arrival, departure from Quimper the whole year along should be ok with PN

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Aug 10:33

From the Irish point of view, just fill this form and send it to the email address on the form. You can land anywhere you like: https://flyinginireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IrishGARForm.pdf

I’m not sure what prior notice they want but I’ve filed same day coming back and have never heard anything from anyone.

I have no info on Kilkenny I’m afraid. Waterford is less than an hour from Kilkenny by car or about an hour by train from Waterford city.

Last Edited by zuutroy at 01 Aug 10:33
EIMH, Ireland

From the Irish point of view, just fill this form and send it to the email address on the form. You can land anywhere you like

Is that for CTA flights? Schengen flights? EU flights? or any flight including from USA?

Any EU for sure, don’t know about further afield. To be honest, nobody seems to care too much and the actual legislation is probably buried deep in the statute books that nobody cares to look at unless you raise suspicions. I believe the authorities put the responsibility on the airfield in some cases, so probably best to check if your chosen airfield has their own rules. When I was Weston based I used to send the form to them. Now I send directly to the email address. I think dublinpilot tried to find out some concrete information in the past and didn’t have much success. Maybe best to ring the number on the above form to clarify.

Last Edited by zuutroy at 01 Aug 10:48
EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

I believe the authorities put the responsibility on the airfield in some cases, so probably best to check if your chosen airfield has their own rules

That is what AIP GEN1.2 says

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/GEN/EI_GEN_1_2_EN.pdf

1.2. Documentary Requirements for clearance of aircraft at airports/ aerodromes other than International Airports
The position regarding airports/ aerodromes other than International Customs Airports should be checked with local Customs Offices

The ‘old’ EU list for airports usable from outside EU is here: bizzarly, only Shanon, Cork, Dublin are the only AIU allowed to take non-EU traffic for customs purposes not even Dongal or Waterford?

https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2021-10/List%20of%20International%20Union%20Airports.pdf

The Ireland list of INTL airports in AIP AD1.3 are here which seems about right

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/AD/EI_AD_1_3_EN.pdf

There are not in AIU list,
- Weston is INTL in AD1.3, AIP entry in AD2.2 says custom/immigration are OK
- Athboy is NTL in AD1.3, AIP entry in AD2.2 says O/R custom/immigration are OK
- Kilkenny is NTL, has NIL AIP entry in AD2.2 which is not good

I gather it does not matter: as you say who cares but you need a nice story ‘airfield is listed here’? to be honest EU citizens and EU goods have no problem flying Quimper to Kilkenny by sending the RoI GENDEC, what can go wrong? it’s freedom of monument after all but I doubt there is much GA anyway to get that tested? I doubt anyone from France or Germany went to EIKK in the last 10 years? EddsPeter will be the first PIREP on this for those intra-CTA, you don’t even need to carry identity or passport: so land anywhere is de facto fine

Not sure if anything has changed for UK inbound on Irish side since Jan21, I guess carry as before?

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Aug 11:27

unfortunately, if a comment from end of May in Skydemon is to be believed, Kilkenny is not currently open to visitors. I don‘t know what the story is.

I hope that is not true anymore, because the skydiving club is active on the field during the days of our planned arrival. I also found no notam r3garding closure of the field.

PS: I know going UK/CI first is likely not an option for you

That‘s true. Therefore I will miss also the possible ad hoc fly in at Alderney next Sunday.

From the Irish point of view, just fill this form and send it to the email address on the form. You can land anywhere you like: https://flyinginireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IrishGARForm.pdf

That’s sounds good. Thank you @zuutroy. Now I‘m trying to get into contact with somebody of Kilkenny, to ensure landing is possible.

EDDS , Germany
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message