Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying near Poitiers or Bordeaux

The Luscombe from the book C’est la folie lives in Saint Junien near Limoges – it’s a fun book.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/c-est-la-folie/michael-wright/9780553817324

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@Mitch, for what it’s worth I’d encourage you to fly in France even on your short trip, if you can make it happen. I live in the US but have connections to Europe that get me there fairly often. I’ve made a number of similar flights in rented planes or friends planes. Flying in Germany (Reims Rocket) and Italy (Tecnam P2002 and C172) were really memorable experiences.

Peter offered a ride in the mighty TB20 when I was in his area, but I had to work. I’m still regretting that I simply could not sneak away without causing a fuss. Now I wish I’d caused the fuss…

I’ll be in France myself this spring and I find myself reading about club flying and wooden planes with a certain interest. I’ve found you don’t have to make long flights or fly solo, just flying left seat in a different environment is fun regardless. Even a ride can be educational.

Hi Mitch,

If you’re in the Bordeaux-Libourne-Saucats area, I’d be delighted to help if I can – hope you get to fly in France!

Bons vols

@Aviathor merci pour le heads-up !

Bordeaux

I have never been to Bordeaux LFBD but it has not had avgas for a long time. Here is the current notam:

FUEL AVGAS 100LL NOT AVBL : NOTAM LF/A0673/16

Poitiers LFBI I have been to a number times. No issues except that at times there is nobody around on the ground (who speaks English) and a couple of times I was not able to get off airside, until I made some calls to ATC. That can be the situation at numerous French provincial airports where a lot of the staff go home after the last Ryanair (etc) flight departs. I last had that in Bastia, Corsica (France) in Sept 2015.

There are other airfields in the area, with aeroclubs. Whether they do self fly hire I have no idea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There’s an excellent flying club at Limoges with an English instructor (Roger).

PM me for contact details if you’re interested, although it might be a bit far away.

EGEO

As a US’an, do not expect everybody to speak or understand English. And even if some do, their accent may be quite funny to you, at least. Remember they’ll think the same about you! I think you had better stick to the bigger fields where English is normally not a problem.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@JoJo may be able to help in the Bordeaux end… or @Bordeaux_Jim

LFPT, LFPN

Hi Mitch

Just a quick look on Google.
There 2 flying club in Poitiers:
http://www.aero-club-poitou.fr
http://www.acaspttpoitiers.fr

Send them a email and book a flight with a flight instructor.

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Hello All,
My name is Mitch and I live in Las Vegas, NV, USA.
I am coming to France and staying with some friends who have a place in Poitier. I am a private pilot with over 1600 hRs. and own a Cessna 182RG. I would very much like to be able to fly while I am visiting my friends there. I will be in France from April 13 to the 19th.
Does anyone or can anyone let me know whom I could contact to get a flight in while I am there.

Thanks
Mitch

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message