Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

Ibra wrote:

For small grass strips, it’s tough choice between “mandatory PPR” (from some president or mayor) or “learn some language” (don’t ask anyone but open your eyes) I don’t have problem with the latter but the fomer is far problematic, especially in CV19 days

If you are talking about France, then an aerodrome is either “ouvert a la CAP” – which means you dont need to ask anyone, “Restricted” or “Private”. Im trying to figure out which ones might require talking to a Mayor, because Ive never heard of this. “Private”, as in Eg LF3327 usually means PPR from the owner (I suppose he could also be the mayor). “Restricted” usually requires you are one of those based as listed in the VAC, there is a real lack of knowledge as to how or why some these aerodromes exist or how to get permission to use them, the only way I have had permissions is directly from the local DGAC office for a specific trip/day… not easy.

Regards, SD..

Yes, I was referring to Microlights ones that are in BASULM, many of them are open to aeroplanes but require PPR & form signoffs (day/year memebership, authorisation from local Mayors), one can legally use English RT to fly to these, but the point is moot: you need to call by phone or send email in French to ask for PPR

Those in DGAC AIP, few may need permission from DGAC office or local management (environnement protection = Avranches, special activity = LaFerteAlais, site qualification = Altiports, only based aircrafts), and some are restricted to “FR only” or noise slots, which honestly I find easier to deal with on my own than PPR…

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Mar 08:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

When the airport, in France, is restricted, you can get a permission (depending on why they are restricted and what it says on the AIP) by contacting the DGAC. I’ve done this for access to Avranche by email (I don’t remember the contact but could figure it out) and got the permission a couple of days later, valid for 2 months. In the end, I could not use it because it was still flooded with water for the most part.

ENVA, Norway

Is LFAT FR-only when the tower is empty?

C2694/21
‘LE TOUQUET’ CTR ACTIVATED AS FOLLOWS :
0800-1230 1330-1800
OUTSIDE THESE HOURS, CTR DEACTIVATED AND AD CTL NOT PROVIDED.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes it’s FR-only without ATC, you can check VFR VACs & IFR IAPs if this still the case

you can check VFR VACs & IFR IAPs

Neither says anything (Jepp).

Is this a French law?

Administrator

French AIP plates, do Jepp write “FR-only”?

Thanks. Interesting that Jepp don’t include that note, because – according to posts earlier in this thread – a non FR speaker gets sent to the guillotine

Administrator

Anyone have a list of basic non-towered phraseology for the most-used EU languages, like EN/FR/DE/ES/IT?

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

French and Spanish phrases are here.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message