Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

You do need French language competence though, to fly to an FR-only airfield, surely – regardless whether you are DGAC-licensed or not.

The English LP is a separate thing. It says you need ELP to cross borders within the EU – even if you are actually competent in the two languages either side of that border.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

derek wrote:

That is good news. If one were challenged, what regulation could one reference to prove that this is the case?

2.1 you can use English & French, 2.4 you have to use French if you are “French” OR “FR-only”
I can dig zillions of pages that says you need ELP to speak English for non-DGAC FCL holders crossing EU borders
I can’t find one that says you need FLP to speak French for non-DGAC FCL holders

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/pub/media/reglementation/file/r/a/radiotel_v3.pdf radiotel_v3_pdf local copy

The only place where you are required to demonstrate FLP in French national law is when “obtaining a French licence (from DGAC bviously)” , you are not required to have FLP if you already have a non-DGAC licence (of course you will need ELP “to fly internationally”)

2.9.1.1. Tout candidat à la délivrance d’une licence professionnelle doit faire la preuve de sa compréhension et de sa faculté à parler la langue utilisée dans les communications radiotéléphoniques dans les conditions édictées aux paragraphes 2.9.1.2 et 2.9.1.3.
2.9.1.2 talks about the need for FPL4 to issue a DGAC FCL that can used in “French speaking airspace”
2.9.1.3 talks about the need for EPL4 to issue a DGAC FCL that can be used “English speaking airspace”
Both test laws fall under the restricted scope of requirements for DGAC licence issue !

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000000276965

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000000628199

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Mar 17:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra
Thank you very much. That is most helpful.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

I think there is no French proficiency test in France. But it is useless if you have English proficiency on your licence. You must have one proficiency of the two accepted langages in france (French or English) to fly in France but you can use the langage you want if you are comfortable with. if needed you must use the langage of your licence.

In a special cases, I was flying in Morocco, as French native and lazy I prefer to use my own langage, many times controlers replied in English (I have both proficiencies) as both langages are official in Morocco they should stay in the langage I choose. But I think it is due to the lake of light aviation habit….

PPG
LFNV

For Derek : a strange point in France.
I thought A/A information was in French only as most of French pilots speak only French.
I m based on a small grass strip. And our air-club decided to become a « radio mandatory » airfield.
I was against this because I think regulation is not safety, safety become with attitude, anyway, when I said to be careful if our airfield become a Radio Mandatory airfield, we won’t be able to accept foreign pilots any more.
We investigate the regulatory and conclusion is you can be an A/A airfield with radio mandatory but you can speak in both langages
It means you can have two pilots in the pattern on the same frequency but not able to communicate…

In your case, without French proficiency, the only tricky case is on AFIS airfields, some of them are « French only » because of the AFIS guy. But if your French is correct, it doesn’t matter……

PPG
LFNV

PPG wrote:

the only tricky case is on AFIS airfields, some of them are « French only »

Also somehow applicable ATC airfields, but for another reason: if the airfield reverts to “FR only” as per AIP, the VFR/IFR clearances from ATC will be in French

Anyway, as you said there is no requirement for FLP if one has ELP already
Btw, load of FR-pilots still fly with FAA PPL in French

PPG wrote:

But I think it is due to the lake of light aviation habit….

Indeed, but try Tit Mellil it’s 100% French on the frequency

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Mar 21:15

I have moved some posts into this thread to keep things on-topic.

There are other threads too on LP – examples.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Its not just AFIS airfields. The way I understand it is the VAC has to say “French only” otherwise you can use English or French. Doesnt make it smart to use English at a small grass strip when everyone else is speaking French though… any more than using French at Paris Charles de Gaulle is smart when everyone else is using English…

Regards, SD..

Woah…where did everyone go?

[ see above – posts moved ]

Ah…OK..

Last Edited by skydriller at 08 Mar 21:33

Doesnt make it smart to use English at a small grass strip when everyone else is speaking French though

fully agree with you but for me the most important for a small airfield like our is to be able to welcome everybody ! I like to go to Requena and I think Spanish pilots are not obliged to speak English.

Welcoming non French speakers in our airfield is important and in the club we have such deep French pilots who are still choosing between French and Provencal…. hopefully there is no Provençal proficiency !!!!

PPG
LFNV

skydriller wrote:

Doesnt make it smart to use English at a small grass strip when everyone else is speaking French though

For small grass strips, it’s tough choice between “mandatory PPR” (from some president or mayor) or “learn some language” (don’t ask anyone but open your eyes) I don’t have problem with the latter but the fomer is far problematic, especially in CV19 days

Funny that last year in summer I flew to Calais without talking to anyone but it was tough to venture in UK SE airfields that refused PPR
Few exceptions though: Biggin Hill & Southend & Shoreham & Damyns Hall & Sandown

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Mar 22:12
Sign in to add your message