Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into EDDM - any tips?

Would Straubing EDMS be long enough?

The average inhabitant of Straubing only roughly knows where Munich is and surely has never been there

The average inhabitant of Straubing only roughly knows where Munich is and surely has never been there

Which would be an excellent point if he was going to Munich...But he isn't......

EGTK Oxford

Ah, I thought that was an Oktoberfest trip!

Eggenfelden is not Munich of course. Landshut EDML and Vilshofen EDMV are the closest but VFR only. For IFR I agree that Straubing EDMS is probably the closest, about 50min by car.

Salzburg LOWS would be about 90min by car.

Hello!

Munich is no real problem for a bizjet. Familiarise yourself with the taxiways in advance, the signposting is designed for a much higher seating position than ours... For overnight parking expect to be "dumped" at apron 7 or 8 (close to the cargo terminal), that will take a ten minute drive each way. If you have no handling agent, only one trip from the terminal to your aircraft is included in the fee, everything else will be charged extra. You will also have to look after your airport slots and TSATs and boarding cards yourself (but the guys in the office on the right side of the security gate will assist you). Therefore, for everything apart from dropping off or picking up a passenger or two we use a handling agent, sometimes they can even arrange for a decent overnight parking position close the the GA terminal. Also, without handling agent you will have to wait for your passengers in the open terminal, the crew lounges are only for the clients of the handlers! If your passengers have a tight timescale, allow for a half-hour buffer both on arrival and departure. Even more during busy times, getting a one hour delay ten minutes before scheduled departure time is not uncommon.

Do not try to walk from your aircraft to the terminal, no matter how close you are parked, with or without high viz jacket! Strengstens verboten! Ground traffic in Munich can be quite a challenge during busy hours, a mix of road vehicles and aeroplanes of all sizes.

In the air, EDDM is pretty normal for a large airport with heavy traffic. Plan to fly the full transition routes on arrival (time and fuel wise) with speed control by the controller. On departure, you will be held at low level for quite some distance to the airport, add another 100lb of fuel for that.

As others have already said, depending where you need to go Ingolstadt may be an option. Much cheaper, longer opening hours (upon arrangement), less time wasted in the air and on the ground.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks for all the comments and especially to "what next" for EDDM specific info.

I should have mentioned the destination is Waldkreiburg, east of Munich. The closest major airport is probably Salzburg, apart from Munich, but it would seem that the time savings for passenger transfer at smaller airports make up for the added travel time which makes Augsburg viable.

Legal required field length for landing is just shy of 1300m. Eggenfelden is just 1160.. Damn factors...

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

...Waldkreiburg...

For a business trip: EDDM, nothing else.

EDDS - Stuttgart

EDDM is closer than Salzburg. It is a pain to drive to Salzburg from there. I lived in Hallbergmoos next to Munich airport for a few years.

That is probably true as this is Lower Bavaria which is different to Upper Bavaria (Munich).

United Kingdom

I think one would need a map of the taxiways, for sure

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter. Yes, indeed. I studied the charts and it's not too difficult if you arrive on the north runway as the GAT is located in the northeast corner. That's pretty much straight in from the center of the runway at the left in your photo.

But, if "what next" is correct chances are they park you at the other corner instead by the cargo terminals.. That sounds less convenient by any measure.

Based on input I think I just might go to EDMA again, it worked well the last time and transfer is 5 minutes from airplane to rental car. Also not so expensive, about 120 EUR to land and park overnight. Decisions decisions...

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

I think I just might go to EDMA again...

Difficult decision. This will mean a 90 minute drive (minimum with no traffic) to their destination versus an hour from Munich - if you don't lose any time there. Which you will only be able to achieve by using a handling agent, bringing up your bill to somewhere between 500 and 1000 Euros.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message