Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying and Russian citizenship (Ukraine war related sanctions)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

In what way? It can be chartered with or without crew. Charter imho covers any rentals.

I always thought that “chartering” the plane means you have a contract with an AoC so they provide an A to B transportation.
If you hire the plane, then it is renting.
@Qalupalik, is there any legal definition?

EGTR

This thread is for the impact of having a Russian passport on GA activities

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@arj1

No idea. NACE categorises charter flights for passengers under passenger air transport (link). ICAO’s 2009 proposed classification of civil aviation activities for statistical purposes distinguished between charters and instructional/training flights. ICAO working paper STA/10-WP/7, appendix A (link). The US notion of a dual purpose flight is useful here, that is, a training flight which returns to the original point of departure without discharging any persons at an intermediate point is probably safe from the most extreme of interpretations.

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

No idea. NACE categorises charter flights for passengers under passenger air transport (link). ICAO’s 2009 proposed classification of civil aviation activities for statistical purposes distinguished between charters and instructional/training flights. ICAO working paper STA/10-WP/7, appendix A (link). The US notion of a dual purpose flight is useful here, that is, a training flight which returns to the original point of departure without discharging any persons at an intermediate point is probably safe from the most extreme of interpretations.

@Qalupalik, what about a usual rent, not training?

EGTR

what about a usual rent, not training?

As said above, it wont be treated as charter if you don’t lose any of passengers or students, or leave the aircraft somewhere else

PS: ferry flights with passengers or students that you “magically lose” could be viewed as “chartering”

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Mar 09:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

EASA has recently published their guidance on the application of the sanctions for private pilots.

Interesting part:

It is therefore necessary to make a distinction between a Russian person who holds a personnel licence and is employed by a non-sanctioned (EU or non-EU) carrier, and someone who either flies an aircraft that is subject to sanctions, or flies privately. If for example the pilot flies privately and consequently controls when and where the aircraft flies, then the sanctions apply.

EGKR, United Kingdom

That guidance is confusing and full of contradictions. Perhaps it was made and cobbled together overnight and the main point is to make every russian a boogeyman and demonize everything relating to Russia. Just a pinnacle of hypocrisy and blatant double standards. Where they were been during all the past wars? Kissing feet of BLM activists and fighting for kitten’s rights against animal abuse and ruin people’s lives and careers on the other hand (russian athletes, artists and other professionals who are not involved in those decisions nor support them anyhow).

Last Edited by igor at 18 Mar 12:14
Czech Republic

A glider student pilot with german permanent residence and russian citizenship here. I am also grounded because of sanctions, despite the fact that I live in Germany and have not been in Russia for years.

I do not support Putin or his war, but what can I do? How, for God’s sake, banning a russian emigrant living in Germany from flying a glider in German airspace would help Ukraine?

If there is a petition or a class action suit against this madness, I am happy to sign.

mayday_allday wrote:

A glider student pilot with german permanent residence and russian citizenship here. I am also grounded because of sanctions, despite the fact that I live in Germany and have not been in Russia for years.

I do not support Putin or his war, but what can I do? How, for God’s sake, banning a russian emigrant living in Germany from flying a glider in German airspace would help Ukraine?

If there is a petition or a class action suit against this madness, I am happy to sign.

I will not be surprised if they create some sort of GULAGs for russians in Europe and the US, a kind of japanese internment camps in 1942. A homeless puppy has more right than you’re.

Last Edited by igor at 18 Mar 13:07
Czech Republic

Igor, let‘s remain objective. Such comparisons and accusations would not help us. I am pretty sure that what is happening is misunderstanding, the goal clearly was to target oligarchs, Russia-related business etc., not us.

This issue needs to be addressed in terms of the law, not emotions.

This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one