Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying alone is a total waste

Once when I was flying gliders I didn’t feel “flying alone” really some sort of waste. Well in fact, the more interesting gliders were single seaters. And often, when the weather was good, some day during the week, it was hard to find anyone to fly a whole day with you. And also flying with two or more gliders instead of sitting in the same cabin was also quite nice. So I have quite many hours flying alone, only listening to the air flow and watching …

Now I bought my plane because I never fly alone. I have several two-seaters at hand for free, but they’re not enough. I had up to 6 pax in my cabin (all within legal limits) and I only fly alone after maintenance or when I have to check something. Mostly four or more. Lastly we did lots of IR training, that was only 2 to 4 POB.

I would like to go alone again some day

Germany

I don’t think the club is in a position to buy a motorised tug at the moment.
It’s another one of the reasons I have taken to the Super Guépard. I just have to persuade other club members not.to hangar it behind the DA40D, otherwise I am back where I started.🙂
I enjoy flying alone and I enjoy flying with others.
But sometimes there are no others so I fly alone
I just want to fly.🙂

France

Thread drift continued…

We have a couple of guys on the field owning one of those Remote Control Aircraft Tug to move either their T-6, Waco YMF-5, or else. Seems to work pretty good, though certainly not cheap.
And unfortunately none available to move “my” Bonanza

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

greg_mp wrote:

What about a motorized tug? Do you really want to fly alone?

Thread drift alert!

I have the same problem – a heavy aircraft between my aircraft and my freedom to fly. I’ve been “shopping” and “hacking” a motorized solution to getting that beast out of my hangar, and those things are really expensive – at least the good ones.

I hope to see some cool innovation coming since there are a lot of people building and buying motorized robotic trailer movers, and the technology is very similar to what we need to scoop up a nosewheel and move the aircraft.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

gallois wrote:

The DA40D is just about okay to pull out of the hangar but pushing it back up hill into it again is definitely a red sweaty face job, especially when you.have to stop at the top of the upslope to check you are not going to clip the hangar door with the wingtip pr anything else slightly out of place inside.

What about a motorized tug? Do you really want to fly alone?

LFMD, France

And there I was thinking I had lost all my strength with my hair😃
The DA40D is just about okay to pull out of the hangar but pushing it back up hill into it again is definitely a red sweaty face job, especially when you.have to stop at the top of the upslope to check you are not going to clip the hangar door with the wingtip pr anything else slightly out of place inside.

France

Dan wrote:

Dan25-Oct-23 19:1767
etn wrote:
The stupidest reason why I don’t fly alone:
my aircraft is rather heavy. There is a small ridge at the hangar doorsill, then somewhat of a slope going up when pulling the aircraft out.
I can’t pull the aircraft out of the hangar alone… that damn thing is too heavy.
I already had my chance here… for my own steed…

But reading these lines, I sometimes have the opposite problem

I’m lucky enough in having free (well, I do buy the fuel, but this against the owner’s own wish…) access to a few other airplanes. One of them is a Panther… the 6 cylinder 120HP Corvair powered single seater. It is hangared.
But, here’s the crux, it is stuck behind another aircraft, which I have to pull and later push against and over some rather hi sills rails in order to liberate that Panther… and that aircraft is a very heavy Bonanza, always fuelled up, and having under inflated tires most of times. So there I am, scrutinising the horizon for my victim who’s gonna help me push or push the heavy beast for… no return. But a hearty “thanks man”.

Of course, I do hope to be able to repay that willing victim. Another day that is

I bet you have wet dreams about actually flying that heavy, full fueled, beautiful Bonanza on a trip with 5 friends on a comfortable 1200km non stop trip away from frozen ears and red noses to sweet high teens and caipirinhas on a Mediterranean Island!! Or maybe not ;-)
And if you mange to find an owner paying the gas on one of those leisure type of flights on a Bonanza – you´re one lucky bi@tch! ;-)

Last Edited by Yeager at 25 Oct 22:48
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

etn wrote:

my aircraft is rather heavy. There is a small ridge at the hangar doorsill, then somewhat of a slope going up when pulling the aircraft out.
I can’t pull the aircraft out of the hangar alone… that damn thing is too heavy.

I already had my chance here… for my own steed…

But reading these lines, I sometimes have the opposite problem

I’m lucky enough in having free (well, I do buy the fuel, but this against the owner’s own wish…) access to a few other airplanes. One of them is a Panther… the 6 cylinder 120HP Corvair powered single seater. It is hangared.
But, here’s the crux, it is stuck behind another aircraft, which I have to pull and later push against and over some rather hi sills rails in order to liberate that Panther… and that aircraft is a very heavy Bonanza, always fuelled up, and having under inflated tires most of times. So there I am, scrutinising the horizon for my victim who’s gonna help me push or push the heavy beast for… no return. But a hearty “thanks man”.

Of course, I do hope to be able to repay that willing victim. Another day that is

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

etn wrote:

You and me, bro, you and me both.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

etn wrote:

etn23-Oct-23 20:1063

Really stupid, I told you… :D

Best reason to not fly alone, that I´ve heard so far!! ;-) awesome!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
71 Posts
Sign in to add your message