Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flapless landing

Quite a few aeroplanes will try to spin if you stall it with a lot of rudder in. A (very) few also have inaccurate ASIs in sideslip.

But no aeroplanes I know change pitch attitude significantly in sideslip, so keep the pitch attitude right, and the risk should be minimal.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.
But the SEP only requires a sign off if you have the 12 hours!
Can one do that for ever? I thought it was doable only every 2nd time, or something like that.

Otherwise, why are all those PPL holders going for a flight with an instructor every 2 years?

I’ve just done it the third time in a row.

You need a flight with an instructor, but that can be anything, e.g. a club checkout

[quote fixed]

Last Edited by Peter at 11 Dec 21:42

My SEP rating and IR rating are currently out of sync. SEP expires in january, IR in May. How can I get them in sync, i.e. expiring on the same date?

Mine as well and lady in agency told me it was impossible to sync them

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You are cross controlled low and at Vs x 1.3 which also is a concept that is counter intuitive at Acme, but you are not in a skidding turn which is the threat turning base to final.

In many aircraft a slip is a pretty spin resistant manuevre. Back when I had the Cessna 140, I took it up to altitude and tried to make it do something nasty while in a maximum effort slip (rudder pedal to the floor and whatever aileron required to fly on a constant heading in this condition). The worst it would do was shudder and build up a high sink rate. (And that was an aircraft that certainly would enter a spin very easily with pro-spin control inputs or trying to pick up a wing with aileron while stalling the aircraft).

Now there may be an aircraft that will do something nasty if you try to stall it in a slip, so I guess it pays to go up high and try it rather than find out when you need to do it to make an off-airport landing, but I suspect pretty much the normal utility/touring aircraft will be pretty benign.

Last Edited by alioth at 11 Dec 17:19
Andreas IOM

Peter,

based on the POH you posted earlier, I did a few rough calcs.

At Sea Level, ISA, 1400 kg I see a LDR according AOM of 555 m with flaps down, 888 m with flaps up. So that would correspond pretty much with what you said, that you just managed to stop in 900 m.

If you apply EASA Ops limitations, this would mean that on a ISA day with full flaps you would need a minimum LDA of 792 m dry, 888 m wet and 1220 m on compacted snow. Without flaps, you would need a minimum LDA of 1268 m dry, 1420 m wet and 1953 m on compacted snow.

Looking at that, flapless landings on a 900 m LDA are awfully close for comfort…

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 11 Dec 17:14
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

My SEP rating and IR rating are currently out of sync. SEP expires in january, IR in May. How can I get them in sync, i.e. expiring on the same date?

By doing an IR checkride in January on a SEP. This is also valid as an SEP training flight. You “waste” four months of instrument rating validity once, but I am not aware of another way.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Can one do that for ever? I thought it was doable only every 2nd time, or something like that.

Otherwise, why are all those PPL holders going for a flight with an instructor every 2 years?

Last Edited by Peter at 11 Dec 12:30
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Basically all I am trying to do is get the best value out of the annual £150-200 I have to throw at my EASA IR, so I try to get the PPL (and the IMCR, while we are at it) all signed off at the same time. I know the last two need to be done only every 24 and 25 months respectively.

Whether a flapless landing is required for a PPL revalidation, I have no idea.

Indeed it is

so I try to get the PPL (and the IMCR, while we are at it) all signed off at the same time.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 11 Dec 12:15

There is no requirement to do a flapless landing as part of a SE IR.

Not for the IR or the IMCR revalidation (I believe you can pass an IR initial test or revalidation no matter what “landing” you manage to do at the end) but this was for the two-yearly PPL revalidation.

Whether a flapless landing is required for a PPL revalidation, I have no idea.

Basically all I am trying to do is get the best value out of the annual £150-200 I have to throw at my EASA IR, so I try to get the PPL (and the IMCR, while we are at it) all signed off at the same time. I know the last two need to be done only every 24 and 25 months respectively.

we should be prepared to divert if the destination isn’t at-least 50%, and preferably 100% longer than the scheduled LDR with flaps.

Certainly, next time I do this, I will refuse to do it in zero wind at the same place. I didn’t flat-spot the tyres (on this occasion ) and if I had it would be a pointless ~£300 wasted.

Last Edited by Peter at 11 Dec 11:35
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message