Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Finding an IFR route Hungary, Romania

10 Posts

Hi,

I’m trying to find an IFR route for a trip to Romania from Hungary, but the only valid route I find and is accepted is at FL110 and my Piper can’t reach that in hot weather.

But, after reading the AIP I found that below 10,000ft routing is free, or am I misinterpreting that? The problem however is that Eurocontrol is not accepting any other route than the one at FL110.

How can I get around this?

Hungary

Free Route Airspace just means there are no airways, not that you can fly any route you want operationally :-)

To possibly help we would need departure and destination aerodrome and the exact type of plane.

mri
LFSB, LFGA, Switzerland

Got you!

I want to fly from LHBS (Budaörs) to LRSB (Sibiu), on Z flight plan.

Closest what I found was: LHBS N0100/F080 DODAR/N0100F110 IFR DCT TEGRI/N0120F110 DCT NOPTI DCT IBINU LRSB

Thanks for your help!

Hungary

The plane type is also relevant to routing because Eurocontrol has some performance models it validates against. So I‘d need it to help.

mri
LFSB, LFGA, Switzerland

Sorry,
P28A – Piper Archer II

Hungary

The problem is that presumably due to the terrain south of the destination, the STARs start at FL110 — so no chance for a routing below that.

You can do something like

LHBS N0101F050 BUD/N0101F090 IFR DCT FOGRE/N0106F090 DCT NARKA Z942 EVRIK Z945 TIDGA VFR LRSB

and fly the last part VFR again. The route is a bit hacky but can maybe be optimised.

mri
LFSB, LFGA, Switzerland

Thanks @mri

I’ll will take it from here and see if there is any optimalisation possible.

Hungary

Is this an Autorouter related question? Where are these routes coming from?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

mri wrote:

The problem is that presumably due to the terrain south of the destination, the STARs start at FL110 — so no chance for a routing below that.

Looking at the STAR charts, it appears that when arriving over IBINU the problem is that airspace outside the TMA is uncontrolled below FL105. The grid MORA is 9100 so from a terrain point of view FL100 would be fine.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Is this an Autorouter related question? Where are these routes coming from?

Partly, it’s about finding a route, where there is apparently none. I started out with Autorouter, but manually came up with the route I posted. I don’t know how @mri found their route.

Hungary
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message