Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Final Report of a Diamond DA42 Crash in Sweden - Flat spin from 5000 ft

RobertL18C wrote:

The other classic is hitting the mags instead of the fuel pumps, …

Or actually shutting the mags off instead of doing the “touch drills” when going through the engine securing steps on the checklist.

RobertL18C wrote:

Part of the course is a precautionary engine shutdown/feathering in the cruise,…

Is it? In my books this has been verboten since JAR FCL was introduced and ever since. Used to do it under the old national regulations but only on the FNPT after that.

RobertL18C wrote:

The best training twins climb single engine only when the aircraft is at blue line speed, …

Our trusted 13500 hour Seminole still manages 200ft/min at 5000ft with student and instructor (but I am way below the standard weight of 212lb …) at blue line speed +/-10kt. But I am told that some Partenavias and Tecnams which are used by other training providers perform a little less well than that.

EDDS - Stuttgart

RobertL18C wrote:

The best training twins climb single engine only when the aircraft is at blue line speed, and with a slight bank to eliminate side slip and reduce rudder drag. So carefully calibrating and co ordinating rudder is a key skill.

I think if instructor student handling of MEPS during asy. training was so critical we would see some accidents – the reality is I cant recall the last accident I have read about, having regard to the training schools performing simulated single engine training every day of the week including at MTOW and time after time together with the single engine work every year at renewal. Every year I have been tested it includes at least one simulated engine failure and for my own comfort I make sure I do a session at least twice a year.

I am not suggesting that single engine failure in single pilot ops is not a “significant” (relatively speaking) source of grief, but I dont think there is any evidence that in the instructor enviroment it is an issue.

Fly310 wrote:

The student in the back was tossed out of the aircraft when the tree pierced it and was the one with least amount of injuries. An amazing outcome of what usually is a lethal accident for all occupants.

Recently, the twin (Beech TravelAir) in the club in Houston I used to be a member of, spun in (probably during a Vmc demo) from 5000 feet. The student survived and called for help on his cell phone. They crashed on flat ground I think.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

good lightning protection – unlike a DA42 which on past reports will cost you 5 figures if you get hit

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
54 Posts
Sign in to add your message