Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Farnborough EGLF Diversion Cost

Russian airports are well into the four figures. Some other places (China) can go into the five figures.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

aart wrote:

Just out of interest, would LEPA be the most expensive place in our solar system to go to in a SEP?

I think LEBL but not sure about Gatwick and EDDF.

EGTK Oxford

AFAIK no such thing as a Strasser scheme here in Spain. An excellent initiative btw. Is this being promoted somehow outside of the UK?
On a slight diversion of this thread: In the particular case of Majorca (large airport LEPA next to uncontrolled small GA airport LESB) I must say that the controllers are very helpful in case someone is going VFR to LESB and gets caught out by an overcast or other marginal weather. There is no question that they’ll let you do an ILS and break-off to LESB, so no need to divert to LEPA. Haven’t heard any questions asked ‘are you IR’ either. Now, in case you just fail to make it to LESB before closing time: zero tolerance.. You will have to divert there and you better check whether you carry credit cards. Or (depending on the value of the aircraft) just leave it there and walk away. The latest bill I saw from a friend was 700 euros (excluding VAT), so I don’t really understand why you Brits are whining about Farnborough In order to ‘justify’ this bill they have become very creative in inventing all kind of services. How about 124 euros for ‘screening/security’ Well, maybe it is nice to pay that and sleep well to know that you are not registered anywhere as a spy or so.
This bill was for a light jet, but I believe that’s the minimum fee anyway. Just out of interest, would LEPA be the most expensive place in our solar system to go to in a SEP?

Last Edited by aart at 25 Feb 08:45
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Well … I personally fail to see the difference between an airport and a parking lot with facilities …

Frequent travels around Europe

Well, they have done what wealthy people often do – secure their position and keep the beggars out.

It is poor accounting however because 99% of the costs are fixed costs and every £50 they could get from a GA arrival would go straight to the bottom line.

Of course they would need to set up a separate GA “hut” so the clients didn’t get any GA mud on their 6" heels and this is probably really the biggest issue

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dnj wrote:

I agree with Jason that the airport operator doesn’t have to do anything, but why not do it?

They see themselves as different and not a GA airfield. I am not saying it is right but that is the nub of it.

EGTK Oxford

Xtophe wrote:

It is 47,000 for 2016 (8,000 for weekends) See page 10 here .

And from there , it seems unlikely they come even close. They might get close to the old 28,000 limit.

That’s right, they are allowed 47,000 movements for 2016, and last year they only had 26,000, so lack of capacity is not the issue here:

It’s all listed here:

http://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/article/3287/Airport-monitoring

I agree with Jason that the airport operator doesn’t have to do anything, but why not do it? And I’m not talking about bogus weather diversions, they can turn those away as much as they like. I’m talking about help with an operational issue at a neighbouring airfield, which one day they might need reciprocated.

Yes but would you expect to be allowed to divert to Gatwick? In the absence of a safety issue it really is down to the aerodrome operator to decide. Blackbushe is almost the same distance away and the weather was clear. I completely agree with safety related diversions. For example if the weather turned unexpectedly bad (unforecast low cloud etc) I am sure they would let you in without charge.

But remember the Strasser scheme does not allow “having a go” to get into a VFR field relying on a free landing at an IFR field to get you out of trouble if needed.

EGTK Oxford

It is 47,000 for 2016 (8,000 for weekends) See page 10 here .

And from there , it seems unlikely they come even close. They might get close to the old 28,000 limit.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Surely, a genuine diversion due to accident on other airfield or an emergency should not count as a movement? That sounds insane to me. They want us to continue flying with an inoperative engine/fire/medical/whatever and crash in the street instead so just as to not create another movement?

26 Posts
Sign in to add your message