Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA 8130-3 on EASA planes

I found the doc on google and a local copy is here – hopefully the same one.

However I have usually found that companies which are not interested in this stuff simply won’t read it. Especially if you are free-issuing the parts to them…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Vote with your feet: change maintenance organisation to one that understands the regulation. If they are prepared to accept help from EASA to understand the rules, PM me and I’ll put you in touch with someone.

One option is to get a 145 company with overhaul approval for the component to inspect and issue a Form 1.

@bookworm definitely going somewhere else next time. It’s already taken 5 months to get to this point. I might pm you after I speak with him next week. Thanks for the offer.

EIMH, Ireland

@Zuutroy, how did this story end ? I’m in pretty much the same situation now. Unfortunately, my part isn’t produced anymore :-/

EBST, Belgium

The maintenance guy dealt with the parts shop directly and they took back all of the large items and re-issued them with 8130-3 (obviously not an option in your case). There was no way to do it for the tailpipe (PMA item for which they are a re-seller) so I’m left with a spare (worth $500).
In the end I never heard any more from him about why he couldn’t or wouldn’t just fit them without the forms, beyond him saying that he’s constricted by Part 145.

EIMH, Ireland

Would a part66 engineer make a difference ? Could they fit the piece with less constraints ?

EBST, Belgium

There have been lots of concessions in years past, UK and each other country, on what could be installed without an 8130-3 or an EASA-1. Nowadays, EASA has tightened the process up pretty well.

Is there an update on this which was posted higher up? That was an NPA. @bookworm might know.

For an N-reg, an 8130-3 is not required for any part, but not many people know that, and most European maintenance companies demand them.

@airways AFAIK the only way to install a used part on an EASA-reg is to get a 145 company with the right approval scope to generate an EASA-1 form for it. For example Socata sell loads of used parts as new, with fresh EASA-1 forms produced under their own 145 approval. 8130-3 is not possible (unless produced by a company with an EASA approval). The exception is where an EASA-1 is not required.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

airways wrote:

Would a part66 engineer make a difference ? Could they fit the piece with less constraints ?

I guess so, according to EASA-CM-21-A-K-001. Maybe ask some engineers to take a read of it and see if they will do it.

EIMH, Ireland

Is there an update on this which was posted higher up? That was an NPA. @bookworm might know

(Parts without a Form 1)
I haven’t heard anything. I’ll see the EASA lead on this in a couple of weeks. I’ll ask.

Sign in to add your message