Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA 8130-3 on EASA planes

Peter wrote:

For example Pen Yan (a US engine overhauler) will do a dual release 8130-3, so a G-reg owner can get his engine overhauled there.

Correct

Peter wrote:

Similarly Garmin will do a dual release 8130-3, so a G-reg owner can install their boxes (new or overhauled).

No, Garmin will only issue a dual releas on repair or overhaul. new parts will come with a “stand alone” 8130-3. Dual releases are not applicable to new equipment, only for inspected / tested, modified, overhauled or repaired.

Peter wrote:

I read that the UK CAA will accept a plain 8130-3 in some such cases, and I know for a fact of a case involving a TB20 overhaul in another then-JAA country where this was accepted.

Yes a plain 8130-3 is accepted for new equipment. In the past, EASA also accepted plain 8130-3 when the repair / inspection / modification was done by the manufacturer of the equipment.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

No, Garmin will only issue a dual releas on repair or overhaul. new parts will come with a “stand alone” 8130-3. Dual releases are not applicable to new equipment, only for inspected / tested, modified, overhauled or repaired.

OK, but for a new item, either one will do. So this distinction doesn’t matter. I think I got a dual release 8130-3 with a new Sandel once.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

OK, but for a new item, either one will do. So this distinction doesn’t matter. I got a dual release 8130-3 with a new Sandel once.

It doesn’t do to you, but it does to do the manufacturer. A form stated new can only be issued by a Part 21 organisation. The Part 145 is for maintence, and these are applicable for dual release. So most manufacturers will have both a Part 21 organisation for new products as well as an Part 145 to maintain their own products.

Part 21 organisations use the lower left part of the form, Part 145 use the lower right part of the form.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse wrote:

In the past, EASA also accepted plain 8130-3 when the repair / inspection / modification was done by the manufacturer of the equipment.

Do you have any references/examples?

I have a bit of trouble with a TKM Michel that came back with an 8130, from the factory.

G

I think half the EU has something expensive sitting in a box, with an 8130-3, which they can’t officially install

This might be interesting.

Administrator

There used to be a document which said which parts required what paperwork at that time. There was also a listed of FAA Repair stations which where accepted by EASA (this is not the same as dual release, as dual release was introduced later!).

If this form is pre-dual release, you can not have a dual release, and you should show that he is approved by EASA. You might ask them yourself be sending them in E-mail.

What does your current 8130-3 say, was this item repaired? Did you have this unit installed before or did you just buy it with this 8130?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Peter wrote:

I think half the EU has something expensive sitting in a box, with an 8130-3, which they can’t officially install

Why did you think so, and why? Many shops have the ability to issue an dual release?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

They bought them straight from the USA

Administrator

My understanding is that the 8130-3 was originally devised as an export certificate for new parts from the US purely for the benefit of foreign (non-US) aviation authorities to provide some traceability of the parts for aircraft on their register. The 8130-3 used to require (still does?) that the country being exported to be stated (eg Germany)….as Silvaire and Peter have both stated this is not and never was a requirement for N reg aircraft (anywhere in the world).

Since then the 8130-3 has evolved to do a few more things including allowing an FAA Part 145 Repair Station to return a part to service after repair (which includes overhaul) in lieu of a sign off by an FAA A&P.

For an N-reg new parts are acceptable if they are OEM per the TC or an STC or PMA approved to the same spec as the TC or STC OEM part. Repairs (incl overhaul) must be done by an A&P or a RS with the appropriate authorizations. The installing A&P must be certain of the provenance of any new or repaired part before he can install in an aircraft. An 8130-3 is an suitable form of traceability for this purpose….but so is a certificate of conformity or any other credible (in the opinion of the A&P) document…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Second half:

Now for EASA registered aircraft I understand the traceability requirement has always been more formal….the 8130-3, since it was devised purely for the benefit of foreign authorities, is still acceptable on its own for new (US manufactured) parts. But EASA requires a Form 1 for repairs/overhauls…(although from a previous post apparently repairs by the OEM are ok with just an 8130-3).

So EASA and the FAA agreed to allow FAA Part 145 Repair Stations (only those based in the US) to apply for EASA Part 145 status and thus be able to issue Dual 8130-3/Form 1 releases for repaired parts. Similarly EASA Part 145 organizations can apply for FAA Part 145 Repair Station status (only if based in Europe) and similarly issue a dual release (thus allowing N reg engines to be overhauled without an FAA A&P sign off for example)….

Just my understanding…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 11 Dec 06:42
YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message