Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European PIREPs ?

This could be a feature for ADL. Position data is available etc.. . Though I think the number of generated PIREPS would be low.

Last Edited by Vref at 27 Jul 11:12
EBST

Hi, being fairly new to flying in Europe, I am just curious if there has ever been a consideration in Europe for a PIREP framework like in the US with ATC? Did they ever exist here?

They can be quite useful to get a sense of real condition.

Just curious if someone knows?

EGTF, United Kingdom

I wondered the same when I came back from the USA. I found out that we do have them, they are called special air-report (special AIREP) per ICAO. Unfortunately the only ones using them are airliners. I wonder if ATC would correctly put a special AIREP by a GA plane into the system, because it is so sparsely used (if at all). The reports are if I recall correctly visible in Foreflight as PIREPs and on weather sites like flugwetter.de.

Here’s the part of SERA regulating it, containing definitions and phraseology:
https://smallpdf.com/de/file#s=d14fd3f8-34db-4f44-abda-ec63a4c11dcc

By the way, Foreflight just had an update introducing automatic “PIREPs” with data from Sentry. Maybe this will come to Europe too.

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 28 Apr 06:42

Posts moved to existing thread.

There might be, or have been, some sort of a system but nobody seems to be using it. Maybe distribution is via ACARS i.e. applicable to big jets only.

The OP is a dead link, which also tells us something.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I remember one flight, decades ago, 7am in the morning, blue skies at departure and destination, with a relatively low powered PA28, 4 POB (yes w&b was ok) where I was climbing all the way to get to FL100 for an alps crossing.

I missed my weather briefing and wasn’t aware that there was an isolated big fat CB in my way. The problem wasn’t the cloud, that I wouldn’t have entered anyway, but it blocked the only passage next to Munich airspace without a huge detour. It was ATC that woke me up with passing me a PIREP 20 minutes prior to arriving there.

It must have been very obvious to him that I missed the weather. I was suddenly awake and of course troubling, because fuel planning with 4 POB could not include such a detour.

Luckily ATC was totally in the game and let me cross overhead Munich.

That said, PIREPs do exist and I also sent some in my life.

Germany

Maybe if pilots in Europe sent them we would have them?

ELLX, Luxembourg

I often hear airliners reporting icing and turbulence to ATC and I always report both if heavier than low. ATC relays this info to traffic potentially affected.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Apart from random ATC mentions, what is the distribution system?

Administrator

Hm? Voice over the actual frequency…

Germany

Hmmm, no For a working system, there must be a database which can be interrogated via some suitable means, for some location described by a circle or similar.

The US has got that, and that’s one reason why in the US you could (in years past) got busted for a departure into PIREP’d icing conditions in a non-FIKI aircraft.

Looking at posts early in this thread I suspect Europe does have something similar but the access to it is not known to GA.

I am sure one of the many ATCOs who are on EuroGA will be able to post if such a system exists e.g. a data entry and a query facility. It might exist only for airlines i.e. ACARS access for retrieval.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message