Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European IFR flight planning?

Stephan, after I got my IR last year, I did a couple of trips with an experienced IFR pilot.
After two or three “mentor” flights, I did it comfortably on my own. Flying IFR in the Eurocontrol system is not that difficult after all.

This forum is a great resource for further expanding your IFR capabilities.

The tools that I use include:
MSLP charts (for long term forecasts), Gramet, METAR/TAF of departure/destination/alternate, Sat24 for actual weather (Infrared mode / show cloud top altitude), EuroFPL for route finding and filing, autorouter for finding better routes
I use Jeppesen approach plates, printed (so I can write on it) and on my iPad.
Skydemon does the rest. I was about to cancel my subscription as it used to target the VFR pilot, however with the Airways Mode, it is a very useful for IFR too.

Using an Oxygen system gives you more options, like outclimbing weather and better routes. There is lots of info on that on this forum.

Can you post any screenshots from SD, lenthamen, showing how it plots the IFR route, and the resulting strip chart?

I suggested this to SD years ago, and their reply was that almost nobody flies IFR It’s good to see they have done something. I also suggested this to Navbox, years before. They could have done it because they always had the airway database. Presumably it is possible to paste-in a pre-validated airway route and generate strip charts from it, at some specific scale which shows the nearby intersection names?

How can one output the result? On an Ipad, one can print to an Airprint printer, or an Airprint emulator. So a PDF should be possible, in a roundabout way. But there is also a Windows version of SD which should be fully open. I always prefer to fly with printed material whenever possible – it’s sunlight readable, no backup is needed, and the batteries can’t go flat.

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Apr 10:05
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

SkyDemon depicts the airways rather well and you can choose any map layer to be included. There is no builtin way to print and it does not do strip charts of the route (which I personally do not find useful). SkyDemon also integrates all AIPs, you can download them and view individual documents. That is very well done.

It’s true that their background is VFR flying but they are learning fast what IFR pilots need.

Get a 2nd tablet (or use an old tablet like I do) and let those trees stay alive!

Can you post any screenshots from SD, lenthamen, showing how it plots the IFR route, and the resulting strip chart?

Example flight EGKA-EHLE.
Autorouter finds: EGKA DET/N0099F140 DCT JACKO/N0138F140 DCT REDFA L620 BASNO/N0131F100 VFR DCT EHLE

Now we stick that into Skydemon:

This his how it look in Map mode:

And this is in flight mode just passed REDFA:

Above screenshots are on a iPad. On the iPad, the interface is interactive. I.e. you need to press on a VOR to see it’s frequency.

I never use the PC version of Skydemon, but I expect that it will have a function to print sections of the map.
Will try that when I’m home later today…

You guys are really missing out if you skip the print centre of the PC version. There you will also find the strip charts, Achim ;)

EDLN and EDKB

Those look very clear.

For almost 10 years I have been doing this by pasting the validated route (produced by whatever tool I use to generate it) into Jepp Flitestar, which is now a rather ancient product. That generates strip charts trivially. I have just generated two sets, for an old EGKA-LDSP route:

Set 1 PDF – for a 10nm=1" scale (which shows the route and adjacent intersection names)

Set 2 PDF – for a 15nm=1" scale (which obviously has fewer pages but doesn’t show names of off-route intersections, which is not good since ATC often direct you to these so you have to ask for their spelling).

I guess one needs to play with the scale, to get the desired result.

Is the version of SD which does this the basic one or do you have to buy the moving map GPS add-on?

Does SD continue to work with an expired database, or does it stop working and, if so, how long after?

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Apr 13:26
Administrator

Standard SkyDemon for 89 quid a year. Gives you iOS, Android and Windows version. I never used the latter but it looked slick at the Aero show.

No Croatia or Greece, according to their website

Presumably the airway network is still shown? What does the underlying ground data look like?

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Apr 13:58
Administrator

Croatia and Greece are there with airways and airspaces. The terrain depiction in SkyDemon is very good, you also get a vertical view. The map is not just one of the usual Google/Apple maps with airspace data on it but custom drawn.

You going to join up with SD, Achim? Autorouter and SD would be a great match…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Apr 15:03
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message