Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eurocrats Opinion released DRAFT (what became CB IR)

The above text suggests IMCR (or FAA IR etc etc) training not done with an IRI can be credited towards the CB IR with a max of 15hrs.

That is what I remember the very original position to be, way back when this all started. The basis was that the IMCR requires a min of 15hrs dual.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

That is what one French ATO & one Polish ATO told me while ago: 25h dual has to be with EASA IRI for initial CBIR

Yes, if you have had no previous instrument time as PIC. If you do (e.g. a UK IMC or FAA IR) then the minimum can be a low as 10 hr dual at an ATO. Se items (a/b)(i)(b) above.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

So the answer to your questions seems to be, yes, but not more than 15 hours

That is what one French ATO & one Polish ATO told me while ago: 25h dual has to be with EASA IRI for initial CBIR

15h can be anything solo PIC IFR or dual with FAA CFII or UK IMCR FI

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Oct 09:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Are there any limitations on that 30hrs e.g. FI qualifications, country, aircraft type, etc? For example can UK IMCR training be used towards an EASA IR, after 31/12/2020? Or FAA IR training? This is no doubt the wrong thread…

The full piece of regulation is this: (Item Aa 6 of appendix 6 to part-FCL.)

6. The method of attaining an IR following this modular course is competency-based. However, the minimum requirements below shall be completed by the applicant. Additional training may be required to reach required competencies.
(a) A single-engine competency-based modular IR course shall include at least 40 hours of instrument time under instruction, of which up to 10 hours may be instrument ground time in an FNPT I, or up to 25 hours in an FFS or FNPT II. A maximum of 5 hours of FNPT II or FFS instrument ground time may be conducted in an FNPT I.
…(i) When the applicant has:
……(A) completed instrument flight instruction provided by an IRI(A) or an FI holding the privilege to provide training for the IR; or
……(B) prior experience of instrument flight time as PIC on aeroplanes, under a rating providing the privileges to fly under IFR and in IMC, these hours may be credited towards the 40 hours above up to maximum of 30 hours,
…(ii) When the applicant has prior instrument flight time under instruction other than specified in point (a)(i), these hours may be credited towards the required 40 hours up to a maximum of 15 hours.
…(iii) In any case, the flying training shall include at least 10 hours of instrument flight time under instruction in an aeroplane at an ATO.
…(iv) The total amount of dual instrument instruction shall not be less than 25 hours.
(b) A multi-engine competency-based modular IR course shall include at least 45 hours instrument time under instruction, of which up to 10 hours may be instrument ground time in an FNPT I, or up to 30 hours in an FFS or FNPT II. A maximum of 5 hours of FNPT II or FFS instrument ground time may be conducted in an FNPT I.
…(i) When the applicant has:
……(A) completed instrument flight instruction provided by an IRI(A) or an FI holding the privilege to provide training for the IR; or
……(B) prior experience of instrument flight time as PIC on aeroplanes, under a rating giving the privileges to fly under IFR and in IMC
these hours may be credited towards the 45 hours above up to a maximum of 35 hours.
…(ii) When the applicant has prior instrument flight time under instruction other than specified in point (b)(i), these hours may be credited towards the required 45 hours up to a maximum of 15 hours.
…(iii) In any case, the flying training shall include at least 10 hours of instrument flight time under instruction in a multi-engine aeroplane at an ATO.
…(iv) The total amount of dual instrument instruction shall not be less than 25 hours, of which at least 15 hours shall be completed in a multi-engine aeroplane.
(c) To determine the amount of hours credited and to establish the training needs, the applicant shall complete a pre-entry assessment at an ATO.
(d) The completion of the instrument flight instruction provided by an IRI(A) or FI in accordance with point (a)(i) or (b)(i) shall be documented in a specific training record and signed by the instructor

So the answer to your questions seems to be, yes, but not more than 15 hours. OTOH, prior instrument time as PIC time under a non-EASA IMC/IR may also be credited up to a maximum total credit of 30 hours.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 30 Oct 09:27

Are there any limitations on that 30hrs e.g. FI qualifications, country, aircraft type, etc? For example can UK IMCR training be used towards an EASA IR, after 31/12/2020? Or FAA IR training? This is no doubt the wrong thread…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

IMCR training credit is probably different today; I can never remember what it is.

You mean credit towards the CB-IR? 30 hrs of “instrument time under instruction” is creditable towards the CB-IR. The remaining 10 hrs (minimum) must be done at an ATO.

It was from 2013. I wondered what it was. Didn’t realise that thing later became what today is called the CB IR.

Brexit has no bearing on the CB IR, which was incorporated into UK law on 31/12/2020.

IMCR training credit is probably different today; I can never remember what it is. Maybe 10hrs or some such, but only if done with an IR instructor, otherwise you get zero. And maybe also zero anyway if you are outside the UK?

Administrator

Surely in a post-brexit world this thread is outdated and irrelevant?

Peter wrote:

Does anyone know what this is about? It’s a complete mystery to me. It looks like a pan-European “IMC Rating”.

It says, in the first sentence of the second paragraph of the first page, what it is about: “…the Agency proposes a competency-based instrument rating (CB IR) and an en route instrument rating (EIR) for private (PPL(A)) and commercial pilot (CPL(A)) licence holders.” Further down it says: “…this Opinion proposes a Cloud Flying Rating for sailplane pilots.”

As we know, both the CB IR and the EIR were realised. It is maybe not so well known in this community, but there is now also a cloud flying rating for sailplane pilots.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 29 Oct 17:50

I just came across this old thread. That PDF is still there today!

Does anyone know what this is about? It’s a complete mystery to me. It looks like a pan-European “IMC Rating”.

Administrator
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message