Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroControl and use of approach PBN codes S1, S2, T1 and T2

I have a few questions regarding the use of the RNP APCH and RNP AR APCH PBN codes.

Although the S1 or S2 may be specified in the US, it really is of no use because the only validity check performed is that one or the other is specified. So I don’t bother to specify S2 for my Bonanza even though it qualifies in the US. If I ask to fly an RNAV (GPS) approach, ATC will always give it to me regardless of what I filed. They may ask if I don’t specify G, but I doubt it would come up. Since approaches are not part of the flightplan, the issue does not prevent me filing with or without the S1/S2.

So I have two questions?

1) Are they enforced by EuroControl, IOW will your flightplan get rejected if you file to an airport that only has a GNSS procedure, will that be rejected?

2) If the answer to the first question is they don’t care, if you get to the airport and don’t have S1 or S2 specified, what will ATC do? Do they care?

KUZA, United States

The answer to both questions is no – at least not yet.

I think the Eurocontrol computer does care about your RNAV capabilities for SID/STAR because I have had flightplans rejected if I file a conventional SID with an airplane that has RNAV capability.

By default airports will expect a conventional approach and GNSS approaches are available on request – at least that has been my experience so far.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 25 Sep 18:04
LFPT, LFPN

The only codes I have ever been asked about in Europe are PRNAV in Amsterdam and RVSM. No idea what Eurocontrol does with them. I expect @achimha will be along soon to tell us.

EGTK Oxford
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message