Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

English language (ELP) testing for pilots

Welcome to EuroGA, Alena

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alena, interesting that you gave 6 to UK licence holders.

This may have been different before EASA came in.

I have first hand experience of the CAA refusing level 6 english issued in other European countries.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

Hi all! This is my first post so let me say a few things about myself. I am Greek and have been flying for 20 years having logged around 1600 hrs most on a Trinidad which I flew for 5 years and a DA42 for the last 10. I have a frozen ATPL and an FI. Getting to the post at hand, I have been an aviation English assessor for the past 9 years and have given a ‘6’ to UK licence holders and it has never been a problem. I haven’t given a ‘6’ recently though so maybe something has changed in the past year? The French are the ones that have accepted only up to level ‘5.’

I had heard that as well, but have yet to come across a real example.

Some people claim that if (as a DGAC license holder) you can document having passed ELP level 6, at every renewal of the ELP 4/5 on your license you can show the DGAC the documentation and they will renew you ELP level 4/5 without you having to pass the exam.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 23 Mar 14:59
LFPT, LFPN
What exactly does that mean?

Does that mean I cannot legally fly into France?

The question is about getting the qualification put on your licence. You don’t say who issued the Czech pilot’s licence.

If you have a French licence issued by the DGAC, you can pass an English language proficiency exam in another EU country, and the DGAC will put it on your licence, but only if you get level 4 or 5. If you get level 6, they won’t recognise it. The only way to gain level 6 English on a French licence is to pass the DGAC English test.

If you fly in France with a non-French licence, you just have to have English proficiency marked on that licence. The DGAC don’t care how you got it.

If a French pilot went and did a skills test with a native UK examiner, the level 6 English (if it was ticked on the form) would have no value in France.

Last Edited by Bordeaux_Jim at 23 Mar 11:44

Talk was about getting the LP into one’s license, if that is issued by that country.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What exactly does that mean?

Does that mean I cannot legally fly into France?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am Czech and got ELP6 from a native Brit FE at the skills test for the JAA IR.

Not good enough for the DGAC I’m afraid.

No. Not good enough because you do not understand English spoken with thick accents over bad AM transmissions

LFPT, LFPN
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message