Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynon D10A got an FAA STC

Jacko wrote:

the EAA’s paperwork for the Dynon D10 and D100 is a kosher FAA STC

Michael wrote:
me thinks it’s a " Halal " FAA STC

Kosher or Halal, they keep referring to it as the “non-certified Dynon PFD” (although living up to industry standards), while the G5 is explicitely certified.

ESMK, Sweden

Interesting article on AvWeb today :

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Jacko wrote:

I gathered that the EAA’s paperwork for the Dynon D10 and D100 is a kosher FAA STC.

Hmmm, me thinks it’s a " Halal " FAA STC, seeing how " Kosher " would probably have entailed a TSO’d product, ie. stricter .

( Not sure that is a " PC " statement )

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

@Arne,

I gathered that the EAA’s paperwork for the Dynon D10 and D100 is a kosher FAA STC. In fact, I’m not sure that the FAA approves any other kind of STC.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

I’ll wager, what, let me think, a case of Savagnin, or even better, a crate of Irn-Bru that we see a non-TSO HSI or A/P for certified US airplanes before this time next year.

I hope you’re right ‘cause I’ve ordered a G5 for one of my planes and I’d love to complete that with an eHSI on a second G5 and reversion back-up mode if one of the two fails.

That combo with a $5k or $6k price tag (th G5 w AHRS is just $2.1K ) would give Aspen fits.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

As usual, the problem is certification. Both the Dynon eAI and the Garmin G5 were “rushed” through without having to show TSO conformity under the “new” FAA regulations .

The difference being that the G5 got a proper STC, not just the industry standard compliance of the Dynon.

ESMK, Sweden

While I generally like the LAA and what they do, I really don’t like their propensity for “gold plating” for the night/IMC stuff.

It’s not rocket science and the gold plating isn’t needed. Hundreds of thousands of hours experience flying many of these aircraft IFR in the US, and using these instruments successfully should be plenty of evidence that the gold plating just isn’t needed.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

Curiously, Trutrak pops up here as a non-acceptable item in the UK LAA homebuilt IFR programme.

Yes, but this information is related to their EFIS, not to their autopilot.

Anyway, in the same document, you find that:

When the Dynon D10A is STC by the FAA… Maybe the LAA inspector needs to upgrade his glasses! Or he just needs a bit of training on using the instrument. From my experience, all information are extremely readable.

Belgium

Curiously, Trutrak pops up here as a non-acceptable item in the UK LAA homebuilt IFR programme.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Trutrak and Trio have both announced that they are working on getting their autopilots in Cessna 172/182 and others.

I doubt these companies would invest time and money if all that was for nothing. Let’s see what will be announced at Sun&Fun and Oshkosh this year.

Belgium
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message