Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diesel Engines - Specifically the SMA offering

The RED V12 engine looks great for a replica Spitfire

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Apparently Red is working on high altitude applications, in that regard say “to achieve optimal engine configuration for a specific installation, close cooperation with the airframe manufacture is necessary”

The website shows a Predator UAV under applications, and its true that the Army version used a Thielert – which is now a Chinese owned product. The Yak 52 prototype is interesting too, although its a hard to view that as a potential high volume application.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Nov 17:08

Refitting a new engine to a SEP is very hard. It should be much easier for MEPs where the nacelles have no other function than carry the engine and prop. A Cessna 421 with this engine would be nice.

I haven’t read about altitude performance but I assume it won’t be very good with this engine.

Last Edited by achimha at 10 Nov 17:12

Wondering if SMA are going anywhere?

And in reply to an earlier (and very old post) I flew our C182 SMA at full throttle all the time from ‘clear take-off’ until approaching the circuit at the end. Bit weird to start with, but you get used to it! :-)

This just received in response to my question about the SR460 (this is the IO540 replacement):

From: Thierry Saint Loup [mailto:**********************@smaengine.com]
Sent: 30 August 2017 16:00
To: ‘Sam Rutherford’
Subject: RE: SR460

Mr. Rutherford,

I’m glad you got to enjoy flying behind our SR305 engine.

The second generation of our SR460 will be running on a test bench this fall and a flightworthy configuration will be flying on OEM aircraft in 2018.

To be able to install this engine on a Saratoga, the engine will have to be certified and an STC developed for the aircraft. I don’t foresee this being completed before 2019 at the earliest.

Sincerely,

Thierry SAINT LOUP

Sign in to add your message