Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond diesels versus "old avgas" types - long term operating costs?

I used to operate three DA42s at a flying school, each puling-in about 500hrs a year. In that environment the diesel is far more attractive.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

When I ran the numbers about 18 months ago about 18 months ago based on converting an C172N there wasn’t a lot in it. However if and when the Gearbox TBR increased from 300 to 600 hours then the advantage would be in the diesels favour.

The other factor I was worried about was the was no local maintenance company were familiar with the engines. In fact the local aerial photography company used to take theirs to germany to be serviced. Although part of that was apparently due to the CAA requiring the aircraft to be serviced every 50 hours whereas the germans were happy with ever 100 hours.

I also didn’t have 70 grand for the conversion either.

I think that is correct. I know of a school that operates a fleet and a couple of private owners and in the last couple of years costs have tumbled either because they have more “newer” aircraft or have parted with significant sums of money to replace old and costly to maintain engines and gearboxes. I know the figures pretty well and I think as experience grows with these aircraft there will be better costs savings – it is just a shame it has taken so long.

One thing’s for sure: The fuel costs of a diesel DA42 are dramatically lower than a similar 4 seat avgas twin.

My accumulated Jet A1 fuel bill for the past 2 years with around 325 hrs of engine time is ~ € 7,500.

Locally Jet A1 = € 0.56/l, avgas 100LL = € 1.64/l – I reckon I’m “saving” € 10.000/year compared to a Seminole or Seneca. My maintenance bills aren’t even near that, and gearbox, ECU’s & engine won’t need replacements for another 1500 hrs. I’m never going back to avgas.

Last Edited by Hodja at 22 Sep 13:31

Which airport is that pricing, @Hodja? That’s very cheap.

Also you do a fair number of hours.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Also you do a fair number of hours.

Yes. I pay about €2000 per year for Avgas, at €1 per liter including tax. No fraction of that up to 100% would cover additional long term maintenance on a complex engine of any sort.

I think those behind high fuel taxes don’t particuarly reasonate with private, individual ownership of aircraft. I’m not buying into their world view.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Sep 14:09

Peter wrote:

Which airport is that pricing

Singapore! The costs are actually similar across most of Asia. In places around the Middle East I recall seeing some downright extreme differences between Jet A1 & avgas. For Australia Jet A1 is only around 20% cheaper than avgas.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message