Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

return of small pox
Did you mean polio? Or monkeypox?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox

i was not aware that smallpox are back but it does not surprise me.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

He probably means chickenpox.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

He probably means chickenpox.

No. I meant measles (morbilli in Latin).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

The saddest example us Dubrovnik – the city that invented quarantine 500 years ago.

I recall it also has the oldest pharmacy in Europe. What a great city!

Measels have never really been rotted out… Smallpox have. Hopefully they won’t be back ever. They are not fun at all.

Measels have never really been rotted out…

Yes but with mandatory vaccination we had just few cases yearly. However, growing antivaxx movement led to lower percentage of vaccinated children which resulted with several outbreaks in last couple of years with Dubrovnik being the worst followed by few other cities in Dalmatia.

Last Edited by Emir at 23 Aug 03:05
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Same here, due to “fashionable middle class” parents. Measles is a really nasty disease. You can easily go deaf and that really messes up your life.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

Yes but with mandatory vaccination we had just few cases yearly. However, growing antivaxx movement led to lower percentage of vaccinated children which resulted with several outbreaks in last couple of years with Dubrovnik being the worst followed by few other cities in Dalmatia.

The same has been noted in Switzerland, the general readiness to receive vaccinations of any kind has massively reduced. That movement used to be absoute fringe (or, as some figures say, was rather silent about it) but has now become quite religious and is actively promoting their cause. IMHO this is a clear and present danger to the health of many of our children and ourselfs.

Hi all, just wanted your opinion on a quote I find interesting.

What do you think of the following :

“At the heart of liberty is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.”

Please, if you have a few minutes, give it some thought and write what you think of it. Do you agree ? Disagree ? Partially agree ? Is it stating the obvious to you or not ?

To those who know that quote, please don’t disclose where it comes from, at least for a few days.

LFOU, France

I am an engineer and live in the physical world, so I don’t understand it But it sounds good!

Justine has a PhD and I will ask her.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But it sounds good!

There’s no meaning and there’s no mystery, I pity people who in 21st century believe in such BS.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message