Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Departing Greece for Schengen Destination (Greece / Schengen issues)

Schengen eliminated border controls in between the Schengen nations, so technically there is no internal “border” crossing and control anymore, except for short terms of time as stated in the Schengen treaty when there is a security threat. I am not sure how Greece can get away with their requirement to land first at a port of entry when arriving from another Schengen country.

EDLE, Netherlands

As one EU official said on TV a while ago, speaking about bullfighting in Spain: “Politics is the art of the possible”

I would think around 95.3% of the interaction between Greece and the EU takes place under the table That’s e.g. how Fraport got themselves positioned to skim off the income stream from most of Greece’s money making airports. It was presented to Greece thus. Obviously Greece should not have got into that position in the first place… but Greece will always be Greece, the sun will always shine there, they will always have a certain standard of living (fresh food etc) even if there is nothing under the mattress, and e.g. Spain was no different in the political and economic conduct when the billions were on offer, with the principal difference being that Spain was a lot bigger and could not be hung out to dry.

Practically speaking, as Petakas says in #8, Greece is presently in no position to operate Schengen and IMHO probably never was, so why did they join? Probably, as a part of the euphoria at the relevant time. Or maybe another under the table deal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So the idea that they disregard Schengen is actually not quite true, but they apparently have a rule whereby any vessel or airplane which enters the country must pass customs control. So the violation will be customs. And that tends to be costly. VERY costly. Not only in Greece.
If that is true, it is even worse than a Schengen violation. It is a violation of the EU treaties.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I am amazed after all the discussions on this how many people don‘t understand that the Schengen agreement is on free movement of people only, not goods. Movement of goods is governed by the Dublin agreement. MOST of the Schengen countries also signed the Dublin agreement, but not all. So travel between two Schengen countries may or may not require passing through customs, depending on the countries involved.

For example, there is no passport control between Switzerland and Germany, France, Italy, or Austria because all are part of Schengen. However, Switzerland is not part of Dublin, and requires customs control when entering or leaving the country, regardless of departure/destination.

LSZK, Switzerland

I think the original Q, specific to Greece, is a fair one.

Greece signed Schengen but does not implement it “for vehicles” which in the absence of land borders which you could walk across simply means it doesn’t implement it.

But Greece is in Schengen as far as the other end of your journey is concerned.

It’s a bizzare situation.

The Swiss situation is thus because Switzerland is not in the EU. Same with Norway. But isn’t Switzerland more complicated anyway, in having some airports which have “exit customs” (LSPV used to)? There is nobody there and you can depart via them. No such thing in Greece; the ports of entry are rigid.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

Movement of goods is governed by the Dublin agreement.

Dublin Agreement on Wikipedia redirects to the Dublin Regulation (Dublin II in 2003, Dublin III in 2013), which replaced the Dublin Convention of 1990 (coming into force in 1997). All these are about which is responsible for examining an application of asylum. Switzerland, Denmark and Iceland agreed to apply this regulation, too. The only resistance is from Denmark.

So this is still about movement of people.

It seems to me that movement of goods is determined by the customs union, meaning the EEC/EC/EU.

ELLX

The specific question, related to Greece, is certainly a fair one. My point is that discussion was drifting off-topic by referring to customs, which has nothing to do with Schengen (free movement of people).

LSZK, Switzerland
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message