Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Croatia getting it all wrong with their EU join

I love Losinj (LDLO), but you should be aware that's is already off-season. Therefore, many restaurants/hotels may be closed.

Unfortunatelly yes. I was there 10 days ago and almost nothing worked.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Justine and I have wondered what it is like to go to the islands in say October or November - before the weather breaks for the winter.

It should be devoid of tourists but the weather (if you are lucky) is still OK.

Most tourist shops will be shut but also many people live there so there must be stuff open so you can get food etc. Especially on Brac where I would expect Supertar to be functioning even if Bol is all shut.

Brac is a bit warmer than Losinj

LDSP 301700Z 00000KT CAVOK 17/15 Q1018 NOSIG
LDPL 301700Z 06009KT CAVOK 15/10 Q1019 NOSIG

(no wx data from the actual islands right now)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You should go to HVAR in the winter, such a great place. I have spent many summers there but a winter also. Fly to Split, take the bus to the harbour and go with the fast ship, that's only like an hour to go I can give you much more information

Justine and I have wondered what it is like to go to the islands in say October or November - before the weather breaks for the winter.

What about further south, Korfu or Cephalonia? Are these islands attractive destinations in autumn or early spring?

I've been to neither of them, but read a book set in Cephalonia some time ago and thought it would be nice to fly there one day.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I can also recommend Milos, an old friend has a nice little hotel, close to the Airport ...

The wx in Greece holds up for a bit longer, yes.

We have been to Corfu many times (TB20 mainly), and done quite a few of the islands by airline. Kefalonia is very nice; that was done by airline (no avgas or customs). However we did Kithira (also no avgas or customs) in the TB20 and Kithira is the most beautiful Greek island we know.

Past November, nowhere in Europe is warm. The nearest place is e.g. Lanzarote. We went there in Jan 2013, but it was a bit too cold.

That is the problem with GA holidays. One can fly in the winter (with a bit more flexibility on timing, etc) but where to? Greece has pretty horrid winters - very often same temp and same +RA as the UK. But they are shorter. April onwards tends to be OK.

I think our next fly-in should be Mali Losinj or Brac, early next year!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can also recommend Milos, an old friend has a nice little hotel, close to the Airport ...

Sounds great, but do they have AVGAS in Milos?

We went to Santorini this September by airline. Of course I fantasized about flying myself, but it seemed a bit too far, I had not yet finished my IR, and they obviously do not stock AVGAS.

I just found out about Peter's great Santorini trip report from 2005.

The Islander was still there this September, peacefully rotting away :-) ...

No AVGAS in Milos, but in KORFU ... so depending on a/c should not be a problem. The hotel is really a beautiful small pearl and my friend (a german woman who married there) is very nice

Thank you for the recommendation. Should be doable with a few jerry cans in the back ....

Sign in to add your message