Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crashed a stolen aircraft - LN-YZY, Lista, Norway

10 Posts

In the news here. Yesterday two guys (and a dog) broke into a hangar at Lista (ENLI), stole an UL, went for a ride and totaled the aircraft. According to witnesses the aircraft “flipped over” at approximately 15 m altitude into some shrub. They both survived, were brought to the hospital and is now being charged for a whole lot of offenses I would think: theft, flying without permission etc. One is already arrested, the other is still in the hospital. The aircraft looks to be an amphibious, probably a Petrel.

The dog ran off after the accident. It was found today unharmed

Edit: Yes, its a Super Petrel. This one.

Last Edited by LeSving at 27 Jul 11:01
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It’s difficult to tell from the story if either of the idiots had any previous flying experience at all.
I can say for sure that there are plenty of aircraft I’d feel comfortable to ‘jump in’ and have a go (any legality aside for this point) but that aircraft wouldn’t likely be one of them.

United Kingdom

Apparently they flew for a while, taking pictures and videos posting it on social media. I’m sure they will surface eventually, as some have already done. According to other witnesses they flew, “erratic, low and slow”.

The police say they have no clue how they got the airplane in the air. Looks like they have no flying experience. One of them is known to the police, several crimes with weapons, drugs and driving under influence.

This is a picture from a vide according to the news.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

The police say they have no clue how they got the airplane in the air. Looks like they have no flying experience.

They probably flew plenty on Microsoft Flight Simulator. Knew enough to get airborne but not enough to fly safely.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Glad the dog is ok!! Probably like @dublinpilot said: MSFS and enough ‘knowledge’ to get airborne and fly around a bit. As always: a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

More videos have surfaced taken by the bozos (unfortunately made anonymized by NRK, but you get the picture).

“We will show them we can fly” one of them said in a video just before taking the plane. Apparently filming it and posting it in social media was a main incentive to do it.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Apparently filming it and posting it in social media was a main incentive to do it.

Social media have become a major bonfire of vanity for many people who will do anything for a “like” or in worse cases, to get their accounts to yield more money.

I hope the Norwegian justice will make a well publicized case of those idiots. Even though, it won’t keep others from doing similar stupidities. Unless social media stop publicizing such stuff, which is unlikely because they live of such “useful” idiots, repetitions are unfortunately certain to occurr.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The story that keeps on giving: These guys have also been charged for flying «under influence» by alcohol and/or drugs.

Watching the videos, I’m not surprised. Here’s one of them: tv2.no

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

Darwin award nominees.

The real educational video for all the other… “unskilled people looking for cheap fame” would be the last minutes leading to the crash: Trying to land and failing, rising panic in their voices untill the inevitable – THAT’s the video they need to upload.
They didn’t, did they?

Berlin, Germany

Inkognito wrote:

They didn’t, did they?

Well, the clip that ErlendV linked to has enough panic in it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message