Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stolen aircraft - are you insured for this?

From here

More info in the media. The aircraft was not insured against theft. It’s clear who has to pay, but to actually get those money isn’t necessarily easy I would think.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

The aircraft was not insured against theft.

What does mean? That there was no hull insurance? Or can you have hull insurance that doesn’t cover illegal use without the owner’s consent?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 29 Jul 10:16
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This is possible.

Guaranteed if the owner was not paying any premiums

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is interesting. I wondered how this would be treated if it happened to me so I had a look at the Allianz ts and cs.

Given that aircraft hardly completely “disappear” after theft (and in fact, this aircraft was found immediately, albeit crashed) it does not feature prominently in the terms, but would be covered under “disappearance” of the aircraft. Their ts and cs exclude theft by the insured or with their consent which presumably means that theft by others would be covered, but that does not help if the aircraft is found.

So this would be covered as “damage”.

But there is a general exclusion – the policy provides no cover if the aircraft is damaged while flown by somebody who is not covered by the policy (either named or as a general category of pilot), so unless it says “any person stealing the aircraft for a joyride” indeed this would not be covered.

Interestingly enough, there is also a general exclusion of damage from“malicious acts” which means the policy would not cover the damage caused by environmentalists with their paint etc, but this exclusion is removed by “war risks” cover so worth making sure you have at least that.

Biggin Hill

In UK insurance law, everything not excluded is included. So my TB20 would be covered on Mars, unless excluded. In reality they tend to exclude mostly places where the pilot would be made into soup, which is anywhere S of 35N

The big problem if the aircraft is found is that the insurer can spend unlimited time rebuilding it. Especially if insured for agreed value; see past threads. So it would pay you to pay the thief to ditch it…

Norwegian insurance law??

Reading my policy booklet, it looks like they will pay out under Theft.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Norwegian insurance law??

Who knows ? I think that whatever the policy say. I don’t think there are any implicit or explicit things covered/not covered. Theft is covered in my policy booklet (Visicover), under “Loss or Damage”. If it is found undamaged, shipping it back is also covered. The only requirement for insurance is third party and passenger legal liability, but that is covered by another insurance. It could be he had just legal liability.

Anyway, again the news. The owner’s brother is doing a fund raising. Not for a new Petrel I would think, they aren’t exactly cheap

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Well it IS excluded explicitly in thr Allianz / Visicover terms. “Piloting of the aircraft by persons not specified in the policy schedule”.

Would be worth asking the insurer if they rely on that exclusion when the aircraft is taken for a ride without authorisation.

Biggin Hill

I will email them now.

Administrator

Only third party is legally required in the EU and UK
Perhaps hull Insurance was too poor value for the owner, if he built it.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Reply from Visicover:

Administrator
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message