Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dundee Baron G-RICK Crash - May 2015 Accident Report

Yes, sorry, you are right. But many parts of the SID’s are missing, and so are all procedure turns and holds, which the W can all fly automatically. I had it long enough ,.. so i should have remembered

The “normal” 430s don’t contain that stuff either. Only the WAAS/EGNIOS units have the full procedures including the procedure turns and the holds (and only those holds that belong to the approach). That’s another reason why I wanted the “W”, because that will let you fly the SIDs coupled.

Sorry Alexis, but that is plain wrong. All SIDs/STARs and approaches are available in a “regular” 430/530. The only thing you get from the W is the ability to have guidance on curved tracks.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Jan 19:10
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Interesting to work through the SOP for this for an FMS equipped aircraft. NAV to the IF would have been Flight Planned in the FMS and top of climb you would have listened to the ATIS and selected the approach and inserted it into flight plan. You would then load the ILS, DME and ADF as sources for the relative bearing indicators (and DME location), and switch to compass rose display for the HSI, with the inbound track for the ILS set using pre view. Top of descent the MFD would go to chart display for enhanced situational awareness, the MFD now showing the approach chart (with the aircraft symbol showing actual position), vertical terrain clearance would be shown in the bottom part of the MFD. Minima would be set, and the autopilot would alert approaching minima. The FMS would guide you through the procedure in NAV mode, and with NAV sources confirmed and alive you would switch to APP when on procedure base turn. A/P would be monitored as you re configure for glide slope intercept. At minima A/P would be disconnected if visual.

In the case of the accident aircraft the sector was short enough (30 minutes from Top of Climb?) that ideally you would have carried out an approach brief before departure, and walked through the strip information, NAV sources and missed approach. This verbal walk through is pretty standard for all IFR ops. Pretty early on in the cruise you would load the approach NAV sources and re brief the approach. Presumably you would switch to NDB RBI beacon outbound and switch HSI source to LOC/ILS, if you had fumbled on DME for some human error reason, the lack of a live glide slope at platform altitude intercept would have alerted you that something was not right. If Dundee confirmed no problem with the Glide Slope, am not sure you would automatically convert to a LOC only approach. If you brief an ILS and the GS does not come alive where you expect it to, I wouldn’t immediately switch to an un briefed procedure. In dozens of IR renewals the expectation is to go missed if something doesn’t tally at one of the approach ‘gates’. The concept of the ‘gates’ being you have completed checks for that phase, aircraft is configured correctly, on speed, established and stabilised. Lack of a G/S or a NAV alert, on an ILS would result in a going missed decision.

Why this did not occur is unclear. Perhaps the ILS was also INOP, and the PIC decided a GPS proxy for the LOC only was a practical compromise. We will never know, but flying IMC in vintage twins with low currency in that type, and in an aircraft that had not flown for months, would be a red or strong caution flag for some before requesting start clearance.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The “normal” 430s don’t contain that stuff either. Only the WAAS/EGNIOS units have the full procedures including the procedure turns and the holds (and only those holds that belong to the approach). That’s another reason why I wanted the “W”, because that will let you fly the SIDs coupled.

presumably your panel GPS doesnt have some / many overlays. How does that work?

I don’t want to go too off topic on this but my KLN94 contains full procedures for GPS/LNAV approaches (it is a full IFR GPS, non-LPV) but it doesn’t contain full tracks for all the possible “overlays” (the meaning of that word is more specific in the USA) of every NDB VOR or ILS approach, nor of non-RNAV SIDs/STARs. It contains zero data on RNAV SIDs/STARs but curiously does contains all their individual waypoints so (arguably not legally) you can load them manually one WP at a time. If you search for
kln94 AND rnav
you will see various threads on this.
When the GNSx30 boxes came out, they ate the KLN94’s lunch and they contained more complete data. Whether they contained “everything European” I don’t know.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, the 530 has the full overlays.

I was interested in your earlier comment, presumably your panel GPS doesnt have some / many overlays. How does that work?

I don’t think my KLN94 contains the full procedure overlay for Dundee; never looked. It certainly doesn’t contain the full track of many sids/stars. Does a 530W contain full overlays for Dundee?

If I cannot fly a published IAP using HDG mode, that means I have not read the plate properly, so should not be flying there in the first place!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If I am flying the NDB into Oxford, I will load the procedure in the GPS. With WAAS or EGNOS no RAIM check is needed. I would tune the DME and identify (well the G1000 identifies). I then fly it as if it was a GPS LNAV. I would also have the plate on the ipad with aircraft location shown and the Map on the MFD also showing where I am.

EGTK Oxford

For those of you who will load the procedure in the GPS and fly it, what measures do you take to ensure the integrity of the data? I would not let the avionics fly any approach I had not verified all tracks and distances from the plate to the GPS.

If flying GPS approaches, do you check the RAIM for every flight?

Do you have a display of the aircraft position on the approach plate? How is that generated and what cross checks do you make?

If you are flying a GPS overlay, how and where do you display the raw data?

Private flying gives us all the freedom to fly in the manner we choose, but this accident is a reminder that complacency in familiar situations is as big a threat as weather, icing or the unexpected.

London area

Rich wrote:

Why would you choose an NDB approach if others are available?

You never would but for example at Oxford if landing to the North you have no choice.

EGTK Oxford
151 Posts
Sign in to add your message