Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hunter crash at Shoreham

alioth,

Do you not think that the prospect of prison would make it less likely that the driver be distracted?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Do you not think that the prospect of prison would make it less likely that the driver be distracted?

I certainly don’t think so. How would it even be possible to keep from being distracted? Not for a short time, mind you (as when doing an approach to land) but all the time.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

If a train driver ignores the speed limit by mistake, then it’s a systems failure and should be treated as such. The question law enforcement should ask is: Has the system been set up in the best reasonable way to deal with human mistakes?

IMO you are mixing apples and bananas here. The law enforcement (the police) only ask if there is a possibility of gross negligence, or if some laws have been broken. If they think so, they will prosecute. It’s only in an eventual court, that the question of systems failure will/could pop up, usually due to facts found in the accident report from the (independent) investigation bureau. The possibility of systems failure does not exclude the possibility of gross negligence, if anything it will make the severity of eventual negligence larger, thus more reason to prosecute.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

This stuff will be highly country-specific.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

No. Absolutely not.

Andreas IOM

It’s the main thing that puts me off touching my mobile phone in the car, keeping it out of reach

That’s one potential distraction removed.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Mobile phones (and drink driving) are wilful though. Most distractions aren’t wilful. There probably isn’t a driver the length of the land who didn’t have some kind of momentary distraction while driving to work this morning, or whose mind didn’t wander, and it’s just in 99.99% of cases, no harm gets done – or only a small amount of harm gets done (I know at least a couple of people who have caused a rear end collision with the vehicle in front after they were distracted by seeing a very attractive person walking along the pavement nearby – millions of years of evolved behaviour will sometimes win against around a century of human experience of motoring).

When I don’t use my phone in the car I’m not thinking “Don’t pick up the phone, I might get nicked”, I’m thinking “Don’t pick up the phone, I might crash”. The idea of being prosecuted doesn’t even figure, the thought of the possibility of crashing on the other hand is extremely present.

Last Edited by alioth at 10 Mar 16:04
Andreas IOM

So we are not all the same. Having that Sword of Damocles clearly works for some, it’s a question of working out how many.

I bet that there are a lot who think as I do (as well as about the safety argument.)

EGKB Biggin Hill

after they were distracted by seeing a very attractive person walking along the pavement nearby

Hmmmm… there was no need for that 400 page report

I am not going to post the BA038 cartoon… we would get complaints.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The UK CAA are reluctant to prosecute in Scotland, but the Procurator Fiscal has prosecuted when the CAA has not. A C172 on approach to Insch bounced off a Mercedes on a farm track, crossing just short of the threshold, springing out both windscreen and rear window, with no injuries.
The pilot was convicted and fined.
Non Scottish pilots get away with flying under bridges – the last was a French formation under the Kessock bridge. No prosecutions. Spanish pilots flew under the Ballachulish bridge, and an English pilot flew under the Skye bridge, and were found not guilty in court.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message