Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 G-RGSK 26/3/2024 Duxford EGSU (and go-around discussion)

I flew the TTX many years ago (N400UK) and the stick on that was very positive and accurate. No spring loading.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The size of the stick isn’t important

I trained on Cessnas and after getting my license, the first plane I flew (for over a year) was a C206.

I then moved to the SR22T. The first couple of flights were challenging to adapt to the side stick. But today, I can’t tell the difference. It just works and does everything I need. I never thought “oh I wish it was like the Cessna”.

EGSU, United Kingdom

I watch the video and all I see is stall + yaw = spin.

Preferring a given control size/configuration is down to personal opinion… personally a centre stick with pushrod controls (cough.. RV.. cough) is my preferred option for comfortable and precise flying. The only side stick I’ve flown with was in a Shark UL that had very sensitive controls, but the aileron design was compromised in that it has servo tabs to lighten control forces, but also spring loading to prevent pilots from over controlling…

Back to topic, I don’t see how the control stick was a contributor to this accident.

United Kingdom

It’s not. It’s just an anti Cirrus knocking lever for anyone who can’t afford one. Along with the BRS. Or the slippery wing. Hey ho.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Problem with that sort of one-liner is that it kills off discussion of possible contributory factors. Every time somebody tries to analyse the crash of a plane (which just happens to be selling for 1M+) someone could say they cannot afford it, hey ho, end of discussion.

No idea who that comment was aimed at.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

someone could say they cannot afford it, hey ho, end of discussion.

I agree, such attitude doesn’t bring anything while the goal should be finding the root cause of the accident.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@emir the only people who can find the root cause of the accident are the investigators.

We humans are terrible at waiting so we like to speculate. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. This thread has touched in really interesting aspects of flying. But this time, because it involves people I know and on my base, I feel less tolerant. My problem really.

I understand where @pig is coming from. Very often , including in this thread, we read blank statements about “the typical cirrus pilot” – rich, not enough flight experience, loves autopilots and open parachutes. At times, it gets old and is annoying, specially when most cirrus pilots I know don’t fit that profile. I’m still to see a proper report that backs that up.

Last Edited by Fernando at 06 Apr 12:42
EGSU, United Kingdom

Naughty corner for me then.

Pig
If only I’d known that….

Nicely articulated Fernando.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
Sign in to add your message