Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 G-RGSK 26/3/2024 Duxford EGSU (and go-around discussion)

Agree.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Aye to @Pilot_DAR

Keep it smooth. Don’t make rapid changes to the airplanes orientation or state of acceleration if not necessary. If the plane wants to change its orientation then don’t let it do that. In practically all cases you end up doing the right thing therewith.

My pax don’t pay, but they’re very happy with that, too.

Germany

Hazek, what do you fly and where to?

Just wondering…

Snoopy, I’d like to see you post that in COPA. Maybe not, since you need fingers to type

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

I’m sorry @hazek I couldn’t agree with you less. Pitch, power, drag for me. It has served me and my pilot friends well. So I will stick with it. If you want to do power, pitch, well go for it.

Eh why do I even bother. And this here is a big problem of the flying community. There are so many stubborn personalities who become pilots that think they know it all just because they’ve done it a million times. There’s no chance for any improvement. No debate. I know because I have my experience and no one will tell me otherwise they say. No matter the logic or evidence, they know best! This emotionalism really goes on my nerves.

If you at least had some logical explanation rooted in first principles that could present an alternative solution but no. You disagree with me because of your own anecdote. shaking my head

Good, disagree with me all you want. You can also disagree with me that the stone you throw above your head wont fall back on you but just as surely as there is a safe correct way to perform a go around that rock will fall back on your head. I wish could ask this guy who killed himself if he also disagreed with me.

ELLX, Luxembourg

First of all: 100% agree with @Pilot_DAR. All these actions should and can be done concurrently. And no, @gallois, you sure as hell don’t start by pitching up!

Anyway, this particular accident begs a different question: why go around in the first place? Unless you are running out of runway, a bounce isn’t necessarily a reason to go around. Adjust attitude, perhaps add a little touch of power and let the airplane settle. Prob90 won’t be the smoothest landing, but no big deal.

172driver wrote:

Anyway, this particular accident begs a different question: why go around in the first place? Unless you are running out of runway, a bounce isn’t necessarily a reason to go around.

I agree but maybe he went into a porpoise making the go around mandatory to save the nose gear and prop.

ELLX, Luxembourg

Agreed, but that’s why I said ‘perhaps add a little power’. Of course, you need sufficient runway for that. No idea how much runway this chap had left.

We all have different theories and opinions based in so many different backgrounds and experiences.

So, why not wait for the report and then discuss it based on facts?

I went back to Duxford today and took the family for
a flight. It felt good to see the resident GA community and staff supporting each other, and offering themselfes to take the right seat on other pilots’ planes.

I see support. I see the GA community together.

EGSU, United Kingdom

So, why not wait for the report and then discuss it based on facts?

Because speculation leads us to think about our own actions and aviation in general. It’s healthy to discuss accidents, we all learn from them.

Secondly, accident reports come out long after the accident and then in the case of SEP GA typically are bland. I’m willing to bet that the conclusion in this case will be: ‘the pilot’s failure to maintain control.’ Nothing to learn from that.

@172driver thanks

EGSU, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message