Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yak G-YAKW (2003)

ASN

This is an old one, but was hugely significant at the time, and will always remain so. I recently met a friend of one of the deceased, and I remembered the accident from 20 years ago when it was mentioned.

It impacted the ground at Easton Neston, near Shutlanger, 2 miles NE of Towcester directly beneath power lines without disrupting the electrical supply. There was no fire. The flying controls were found jammed by a tool.
The next of kin of the two persons on board went to court, and were awarded £270,000 in damages after suing the aircraft’s owner for negligence during maintenance.

Was the owner not on board? Sounds like not.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I remember this too, and IIRC how this and a couple of similar accidents highlighted the importance of counting tools in and out when working on Yak 52s in particular, even more so that other planes. Apparently there is a spot where a loose tool can easily jamb the elevator.

Also a shield was devised to prevent loose tools from getting to the spot in question, even if they were floating around in the fuselage.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Feb 05:49

Reminds me of an over-exiting flight of my acro-instructor. After flying the down-line a hammerhead turn, neither the student nor he could move the stick more than a few mm bachwards…
Pulling together with full force they narrowly avoided the ground (and/or inflight wings off) and somehow made it back.
At the field they found a silver cigarette case that slid back in the upwards part of the hammerhead and had jammed the elevater cable.
Never found out who lost it and when…

EDM_, Germany
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message