Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin Comanche F-BPIR lands in an urban area (approaching LFPN)

There are other possibilities that could explain dual engine failure, but they do seem less “likely” than a fuel problem.

• feathering the wrong engine
  • total electrical failure (ignition stops, including electrical redundancy)
  • bad maintenance which led to quasi-simultaneous dual engine failure
  • vapor lock ? (this is in the fuel system, but still)
  • beforementioned engine icing (intake, shaft…)

All seem fairly unlikely (for various reasons).

In all icing cases and vapor lock, we may not have conclusive proof. All the other causes should be easier to assess by investigators. Hell, the BEA was the first to find the MCAS screw fully screwed against the stop in one of the first 737 MAX accidents.

France

As @bookworm will tell you, the twin com has a single point of failure in the master switch.

Whether this can stop one engine and the other a bit later, I don’t know.

I think he is long gone here but he posted it some years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How could that be @Peter? It has magnetos….??

Germany

Unless the Twinkie has some very weird setup (I’m not familiar), the master switch doesn’t have any effect on the operation of the magnetos.

In any case, applying Occam’s Razor and the absence of fire, fuel exhaustion seems to be the most likely cause. As luckily all three walked away, we should know the full story in due course.

just like a DA42 does (one former DA42 pilot here got that but never IIRC posted about it

You’ve repeated this several times but I’ve never heard of such case from anyone else. I’ve flown DA42 in IMC with icing in any temperature from +2 down to -24 and have never experienced any engine problem (alternate air opened). Never heard of any DA42/62 pilot experienced engine stoppage in IMC due to icing.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Why all the amazement at somebody “still flying at 82”? If he/she can pass the medical requirements, plus add on the years of experience. I’m in my 81st year and look forward to my proposed flights next year with relish.

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

have never experienced any engine problem (alternate air opened)

Yes; alternate air needs to be used. This is a mistake which is easy to make; I have done it myself. The POH says you have to use alternate air but lots of people forget, especially as a POH has loads of “CYA” stuff in it.

Also for it to happen you have to be in IMC.

Administrator

Emir wrote:

You’ve repeated this several times but I’ve never heard of such case from anyone else. I’ve flown DA42 in IMC with icing in any temperature from +2 down to -24 and have never experienced any engine problem (alternate air opened). Never heard of any DA42/62 pilot experienced engine stoppage in IMC due to icing.

I have a pilot friend who did a lot of DA42/DA40 aircraft delivery and he insured that DA42 can handle icing very well – if equipped and never had a problem with such temperature.

LFMD, France

The guy who had the dual DA42 stoppage forgot (as I posted above) to use alternate air. I am not sure if he ever posted it openly here but he told me personally. He’s no longer here, and no longer flies the DA42.

On the IO540 (TB20) it takes a while to happen – maybe 10-20 mins, and as with all icing things the conditions need to be just right (or just correctly wrong) to get it.

Administrator

Forgetting alternate air is like forgetting carburetor heat – the same level of error. Probably the intake was iced and the engines simply choked – this would happen to any engine, jet included – no air, no combustion.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message