Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin Comanche F-BPIR lands in an urban area (approaching LFPN)

Did they try to land on the red roof?!

ELLX, Luxembourg

Calling this a landing is a very optimistic description. As to why, and if they really choose where they crashed, all is pure speculation.
The outcome of whatever happened was very fortunate, and Mother Luck sure was on everybody’s side…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Calling this a landing is a very optimistic description.

@Dan, they DID walk away from that “landing”. :)

EGTR

Looking at the pics, there really isn’t any ‘good’ place to go, other than the boulevard, which at this time of day most likely was full of cars and people. Given the circumstances they either were extremely lucky or extremely skilled – or both.

Mr Trimaille, the above mentioned FI, is a wonderful gentleman and incredibly experienced pilot. So relieved they seem to have been able to walk away !

Cessna Silver Eagle C10T owner / pilot
LFPN, France

OEI on approach in a twin com shouldn’t be an issue (ask me how I know). So I wonder if it was something else? Ice, fuel flow, airframe, trim runaway etc. I have my electric trim CB permanently pulled.

EGCJ, United Kingdom

There could have been a catastrophic engine failure which precluded being able to feather the propeller, these light twins need to feather the propeller on the failed engine to maintain altitude.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I don’t understand the flight path, even before they start having problems. They were headed to LFPN, so why were they on the eastern side of Paris ? It looks like they overflew LFPN (with many open fields around) and then went into the densely packed suburbs close to Paris, South and East. Also, flying VFR so close to Paris you are limited to 1000-1500ft altitude because of class A above, but an IFR flight should not be limited by this and presumably should be higher up.

Anyone with more knowledge of IFR approaches could shed some light on this ?

Last Edited by maxbc at 06 Dec 11:07
France

If it wad an IFR flight he would be following an instrument approach procedure or being vectored to whichever runway was in use at the time.
There are set target altitudes for the various stages of the procedure.
These IAP procedures you can download free from the SIA website eAIP under aerodromes and you can see for yourself why they would be flying where they were.
I would assume runway in use would have been 25 R or L.
I have not seen anything so far to say whether it was an IFR or VFR flight.
We have no idea yet why the aircraft either crashed or landed.
We need more information before we can attempt to come to any conclusions of why this happened. But we need to avoid throwing out there which are not faults at all.

France

Jujupilote wrote:

The FI is the founder of a famous LFPN ATO, coming back from a routine IFR training flight to Rouen LFOP and back.

Here’s my source for the IFR training flight ^^ (OP)

No conclusions yet of course, just a description of what likely happened initially based on knowledge of the procedures (and the flight path). IAP are a little cryptic for my non-IR eyes ^^ (hence the asking). Based on channels like blancolirio (or Air Safety Institute if they keep doing the early analysis series), you’d be amazed at how much context can be inferred using publicly available information and informed experience mere days after the accident (even without decisive conclusions on what happened). But they don’t really do early analysis of accidents outside the US.

France
Sign in to add your message