Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wire Strike Cessna 310

Some people are definitely more lucky than others

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I watched most of the video and it doesn’t appear that it shows the actual collision with the wire.

Yes; he was extremely lucky!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I subscribe to his channel, and not only is he a good mechanic, he also appears as a very thorough and proficient pilot. Interesting to see that an official (CAA) airfield publication contains such huge errors.

[ out of context email moved to probably the intended thread ]

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Famously a Grumman Cougar flown by a German character chopped off half the fin flying through HT wires on a low flat approach to Stapleford runway 22. He mentioned the aircraft shuddered (schautartet) but only appreciated his luck after inspecting the damage after landing.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422fa65e5274a1314000769/Gulfstream_American_GA-7__G-TANI_04-07.pdf

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 16 Nov 12:48
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@Peter the video seems to be a reenactment. He’s flying a SEP whereas a C310 is a twin. I haven’t watched the whole video though, stopped once I realized that.

Around here, wires are plenty… a few years ago we had a Glasair III strike one with its right wing, made it back ok, but man, that wing was literally sawed into to the spar! Had the wire or cable not let go…

Wires and cables in the valleys, close to ski installations, cable cars, surveying, slack lines, etc, abound, and are usually contained in the database of for instance SkyDemon, Flarm, or a Garmin navigator.

Nevertheless, a couple of months ago I tried to get a different point of view and entered a valley thru which I had flown many times previously, way lower than I usually do. Lo and behold power wires suddenly appeared hi ahead, and very close for comfort… thankfully shoving the levers to the firewall forward gave more than enough performance to clear them wires by a margin.
Still, left me thinking… foolishness combined with complacency is certainly no healthy recipe.

Last Edited by Dan at 16 Nov 16:34
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

The good practice is to aim for the pole, as they own the wires. If you overfly them, you will never hit the wires (or at least, its one)

LFMD, France

Indeed, that’s what’s I’ve been taught during my PPL(h). Talking of which, some helicopters have little ‘knives’ sticking out, on-top/below just aft of the wind screen. I don’t recall what they are made of but not balsa wood.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Dan wrote:

Wires and cables in the valleys, close to ski installations, cable cars, surveying, slack lines, etc, abound, and are usually contained in the database of for instance SkyDemon, Flarm, or a Garmin navigator.

True, and don’t forget the temporary wires that the loggers and farmers will run to bring something down the mountain. They are usually very close to the mountain, but can be in areas where we fly. Almost never noted in any obstruction databases. And essentially impossible to see. This is one of the reasons the helicopters have the WPS.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message