Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DR400 F-GIKS crashed after takeoff from Propriano LFKO

Due to climate change many people have switched from plastic water bottles to metal (vacuum thermos type) bottles and refilling them at drinking water fountains or points.
In the latest REX reports an aéroclub has banned these on board their aircraft. The reason follows an incident whereby a passenger had carried one, put aside and unbeknown to the pilot it had rolled and jammed the control stick making it impossible to manouver the aircraft until it had been identified and with difficulty removed enabling full control of the aircraft.
This type of event is another good reason I am glad that the wreckage has been recovered and hopefully the cause of this dreadful accident can be identified and we can all learn.

France

gallois wrote:

In the latest REX reports an aéroclub has banned these on board their aircraft. The reason follows an incident whereby a passenger had carried one, put aside and unbeknown to the pilot it had rolled and jammed the control stick making it impossible to manouver the aircraft until it had been identified and with difficulty removed enabling full control of the aircraft.

Reminds me of the helicopter crash that was due to an ipad falling down and getting jammed into the rudder pedals.

No idea if this has anything to do with the crash in question, but clearly a good reminder to secure any and all loose objects in the cockpit.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Local newspaper gives the pilot and his gf a full page :(… We don’t learn anything about what caused it – as expected in such a newspaper.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 16 Oct 17:46
LFMD, France

So very sad. Condolences to all those who knew him and to his fellow club members. I’m not much part of the “club scene” at my southern “base”, LFTF, but there as an accident in the spring, it was heartbreaking when we came in on Saturday to see the olive tree that’s been planted in their memory.

EGTF, LFTF

Even more sad to read in the newspaper.
The pilot had his own aircraft ? It is mentioned in the article.

LFOU, France

An MS.893, F-BPBT

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Homage to the victims, and all who are affected by the losses… this picture, as paradisiac as it looks, is only a disguise of the true tragedy… a couple of helos, a few boats boasting their blue flashing lights, all in a vain attempt to revive lost souls.

Aviator to aviator, and victims, RIP.
To the others, know your limits, the aircraft limits, take care, the more so if entrusted with other people’s lives.

PS
I certainly do not mean the end of this post to sound condescending. It is not. I was, and still feel, devastated.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

RIP. My last comms with Cyril was about him awaiting the nose wheel axel replacement spare part for his Rallye, which was grounded until then.. I don´t speak French, but was Cyril one of the victims of the accident?

Disregard, I translated it. My last comms with Cyril was Friday 06OCT, when he had just returned from French Polynesia. I´m shocked. Sad indeed.

Last Edited by Yeager at 19 Oct 00:48
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Indeed his rally is grounded and stands still in front of hangar 1.

Thanks for the pics and verbs, Dan, I really love Propriano, one of the few GA paradise (at the exception of the avgas pump OoO 95% of the time). Summer sunsets are great, sometimes I can catch the last green rays. This is indeed a nice place to finish although not in such a manner. Days are sweet and great all year long. My father is living there and just spends his days watching the sea and talking with friends at the hardour, drinking wine as an old sailor.

LFMD, France

@greg_mp

Do we have any updated information from the French investigators on this? I know it´s early, but perhaps preliminary report. Merci.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
Sign in to add your message