Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

D-EEMN FR182RG crashed near Verona (July 2023)

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/318097

(german) https://www.aerokurier.de/solingens-aerograf-trauer-um-matthias-kunde/

Mourning for Matthias Kunde
As an “aerograf” of Solingen, Matthias Kunde made a name for himself. With his Cessna 182, he flew and snapped what Lycoming and memory card gave. On the 16th In July, he crashed in the northern Italian province of Ferrara di Monte Baldo.
always learning
LO__, Austria

Unfortunately nothing to learn from this accident so far (no official report?). I don’t discover any information about the weather. The pilot was from my area and homebase. RIP.

EDLE

Nothing to learn…?

The accident pilot seemed to be a dedicated pilot and photographer doing low level flights.
Attached fotos show terrain with 1500‘ reference, previous flight (same day) and accident flight on Flightaware.

In my opinion this kind of flying adds a few more risks.

Last Edited by cessnatraveller at 03 Sep 09:38

Exactly. Hence „nothing to learn“. Simply, if you do somewhat more risky stuff, and do it long and often enough, chances are you might crash and die one day.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

GA being an hazardous occupation in itself, and even though the dangers can be mitigated, the risks can’t be fully eradicated. Fly often enough, and

chances are you might crash and die one day.

Last Edited by Dan at 03 Sep 10:29
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

In my opinion, there is always something to learn.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 03 Sep 23:48
always learning
LO__, Austria

If only being aware of the increased risks associated with it…

Berlin, Germany

Seems like he lost 20kn while turning, probably hard. Plane was inside the valley and a turn at 100-120knot may be too large here. Either he pulled too hard and brake the plane, or not turn tight enough and break the plane with the help of the ground… Surroundings are 7200ft high.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 04 Sep 09:03
LFMD, France

Very odd – why would he accelerate while trying to turn in a narrow valley? 100 knots is below Va so he would have stalled before he broke anything, and anyway you have a substantial margin beyond Va before anything breaks catastrophically (in theory).

If you slow down to just above the stall speed at your planned bank angle, you can make an amazingly tight turn. A long time ago I wanted to be sure of turning within the bay at St Jean de Luz, slowing down (in a DR400) to about 70 and pulling a 60 degree turn. I didn’t even enter the bay.

LFMD, France

It would be good if DMMS – defined minimum manoeuvring speed was better understood and practiced. Approximately 1.4 x Vs this equates to a level turn of around 45 degrees with some safety margin. Aircraft clean around 85KIAS, or 95 KTAS. Radius of turn formula is Velocity squared divided by 11.25 times tangent of angle of bank. This is a radius of around 250 metres, so not trivial in a narrow canyon. Carrying out the turn with flaps and 70 KIAS, would shrink the radius by around a half to 125 metres.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message